Who else is waiting the impossible wait?

You know, I hadn't thought about the days getting longer now but I was just thinking to myself last night on my way to pick up DS from daycare how it was nice that there was still a little bit of light left in the sky. I got my first egg today! A pretty pale green egg from one of my easter eggers. I think it might have been Merna, but DH said that Tiger was squatting for him today. Now we'll see if there are any more tomorrow!

My first egg! Nice and light brown about medium size from one of my SS !
wee.gif

GO GIRLS!
yippiechickie.gif

Quote:
Every chicken is different, and my poor girls almost ended up at freezer camp. None of them laid before 30 weeks except the leghorn, who was 22 weeks and only laid for 6 weeks, then got eggbound and passed away in her nest. When we had our original girls, we had an RIR and wellie that were put down for non-related injuries at 33 weeks--neither bird had ever laid an egg. Our barred rock did not produce her first egg until 35+ weeks, and the EE's both started right at 30-31 weeks.

If you are getting impatient at 15 weeks, you may possibly have a long road ahead of you. It all depends on your chickens, too.

Ahhh 9 month mark has come and gone. My girls were 9 months on Dec 30th or 29th around there. One Barred Rock and one EE. The EE I am not too impatient with, heard they can take until 44+ weeks. But the Barred Rock? At 37 weeks? EXCUSE ME?!

::runs out to coop and pokes Joon(BR)::

Look here missy! There is a KFC RIGHT down the road! I am sure they would looooove some fresh free range organic chicken to throw on their menu. GET TA LAYIN'!

lolol
big_smile.png

Quote:
My speckled sussex girls are 7 1/2 months old. One of them actually squatted when I touched her to move out of the way when I was cleaning.
I guess that's a GOOD sign. Have faith!!
D.gif

Well, two green eggs in a row then nothing yesterday. Not surprising really since the second egg didn't come until after 4pm and it gets dark about 4:30-5 right now. But this morning the mystery of who laid the first egg was solved! I didn't even bother doing a head count when I was feeding/watering the girls in their run today, just assumed they were all there. But when I opened up the nest box, Tiger was sitting in a nest, working on that third egg! In fact, I think I may be hearing the egg song out there right now! As far as I can tell, everyone else is still free loading but if combs are any indication all but two of them will be laying soon(ish).

Yep, another beautiful green egg. The largest so far, and still warm even! I'm gonna really like this egg collecting business, I can tell
big_smile.png

Last edited:
We are waiting no longer! Found our first egg today, it was green (from one of the EE's) frozen solid so probably from a day or so ago? Hopefully more to come!

Back
Top Bottom