Who else is waiting the impossible wait?

We got our very first egg from our beautiful Barred Rocks yesterday
ya.gif
, but nothing today!
barnie.gif
I think I'm more impatient now, knowing that at least one of them could be laying but isn't, lol. Not that I'm impatient or anything.
lau.gif

I got two Silver Laced Wyandottes and one Easter Egger and they were all supposed to be about twelve weeks old in November. It's now January and none have laid nothing, only poop, poop and more poop. I saw somewhere on this site that combs were an indication of age. The two Wyans are just developing wattles and the EE is bald both under and above. Does this mean that they were not the age advertised? Should I be monitoring the size of wattles and/or combs before considering them slow layers? They have no interest in the nesting box at all but they get a kick out of playing soccer with the golf ball. Thoughts?
roll.png
roll.png
roll.png

Patience, patience. If they were 12 weeks old the first of November, that would make them 21-22 weeks old now. Mine didn't start laying until 24 weeks (and only one at that time). hang in there.

Quote:

my barred rocks just starrted laying at 22-23 weeks, one has laid 6 of the last 7 days, another is laying every 36hrs or so. 9 eggs from 2 birds so far since the first, they were born early july

Got my first egg from a mixed flock acquired from My Pet Chicken. Believe it is the Barred Rock. Thought the Brown Leghorns might be first since they are really 'colored up'. 22 1/2 weeks. Thought that was pretty early for here in Montana. I did put a light in the coop about 3 weeks ago for an extra 4 hours light, plus they have a heated waterer.

I just got my FIRST egg today from my 35 week old Wyandotte! Felt like FOREVER! Hopefully yours will lay sooner but if not, it's worth the wait
smile.png

My 4 are about 21 weeks, and I'm anxiously awaiting that first egg! I think I'd be worried if nothing until 35 weeks. Two weeks ago we went on vacation for 5 days, came home to find our smallest most compact little pullet (SLW) had become the largest of all. Is that kind of growth spurt typical? We had very rainy weather here, so they had to stay in the coop all day - so maybe they got more grain than usual? Typically they free-range during the day. Or did my chicken sitter try to pull a fast one?!

What is it with the anticipation of something as everyday common as an egg? I just can't wait! I was doing pretty well not thinking about it, but now...... here I am reading about others that have the same anticipation issues with their chickens!
lol.png

I have 3 that are at 20 weeks (2 EEs and 1 Australorp), and 9 that are at 17 weeks. I ordered from My Pet Chicken but couldn't wait for them so I went and got 3 from the local feed store. My 17 weekers are: 1 Red Star, 1 Polish, 1 Favorelle, 2 EE Bantams, 1 Welsummer, another Australorp, and 2 Silkies. I obviously couldn't make up my mind and I am only supposed to have 3. Whatever! Went a little chicken crazy. Now I am playing the waiting game.
pop.gif

Woo-hoo! TWO eggs today, our regular green one from Tiger, and a pretty little brown one! Not sure who the brown one is from. Of our three brown layers, only one has a red comb, but we've caught both the other two in the nest boxes "practicing" and Pippen has squatted for me a couple of times. Two for seven, now I guess it's just a matter of a little more time (and patience) before we are seven for seven.

Back
Top Bottom