Who else loves their Orps? Orp lovers and Orps ONLY Thread. If you are going to hate on Orps, you aren't allowed.

Pics
Beautiful! What is her name?
Her names Cherokee, she’s an amazing horse and my best friend.
CBA4630C-CEFA-4EB5-B24C-F53EBA396B4C.jpeg

Y’all have never had cochins

I've had large fowl Golden-laced, Blue, Black, Splash, White, Partridge and bantam Red, White, Barred, and currently have bantam Lemon-blue Cochins. I still prefer the Orpingtons overall.

Here’s an orp in his true glory 🤢
He’s extremely ugly.

That's because he's an American-type Lavender Orpington. Back when hinkjc and others on this forum were working together to improve the type of these project birds they were much better looking. If I remember correctly he produced his first male back around 2006. Here's a thread with just a few pictures of the Lavenders they were working with. You can clearly see the birds have better type than the Lavenders that are being offered today. Once more of the birds were released to the public and hatcheries got a hold of them, they have been bred without regard by most people who were looking to make a quick buck because in the first years they were available, they were quite rare and expensive. Now everywhere you look people are selling ***ULTRA RAIR LaVAndar OrFingTONs*** or whatever mess they've labeled them as when the birds don't even look like Orpingtons. Furthermore, those breeders will not outcross to Black Orpingtons in order to improve the type and feathering of the next generation, because those birds would only carry a copy of the Lavender gene and be visually black. They aren't as valuable to people who "want a pretty chicken" or that are trying to sell them for a profit rather than bettering the breed. So Lavender has been bred to Lavender year after year, resulting in the poor feathered, scrawny, non-typey birds you see today.

In other news I have Orpingtons hatching out so I'm hoping to have more than the five chicks when I get home. I don't think this is going to be a great hatch, but we'll see.

I've had large fowl Golden-laced, Blue, Black, Splash, White, Partridge and bantam Red, White, Barred, and currently have bantam Lemon-blue Cochins. I still prefer the Orpingtons overall.

That's because he's an American-type Lavender Orpington. Back when hinkjc and others on this forum were working together to improve the type of these project birds they were much better looking. If I remember correctly he produced his first male back around 2006. Here's a thread with just a few pictures of the Lavenders they were working with. You can clearly see the birds have better type than the Lavenders that are being offered today. Once more of the birds were released to the public and hatcheries got a hold of them, they have been bred without regard by most people who were looking to make a quick buck because in the first years they were available, they were quite rare and expensive. Now everywhere you look people are selling ***ULTRA RAIR LaVAndar OrFingTONs*** or whatever mess they've labeled them as when the birds don't even look like Orpingtons. Furthermore, those breeders will not outcross to Black Orpingtons in order to improve the type and feathering of the next generation, because those birds would only carry a copy of the Lavender gene and be visually black. They aren't as valuable to people who "want a pretty chicken" or that are trying to sell them for a profit rather than bettering the breed. So Lavender has been bred to Lavender year after year, resulting in the poor feathered, scrawny, non-typey birds you see today.

In other news I have Orpingtons hatching out so I'm hoping to have more than the five chicks when I get home. I don't think this is going to be a great hatch, but we'll see.
You’ll never change my mind, Orpingtons are evil.

You’ll never change my mind, Orpingtons are evil.

Yes, there' nothing like taking an eight month-old cockerel and putting him into a breeding pen with seven adult females and a mature rooster without any aggression to sit back and think to yourself, "What horrible, evil birds these well-bred English Orpingtons are." They are exceptionally rude to three month-olds that are introduced when the hens roost on the floor with them until they get the hang of perching and always let them eat and drink without running them off the food or water.

He's extremely ugly. She is a thoroughbred.

Outing Jade's attempt at snarky comments in tiny tiny tiny type. And I would suggest, Jade, that the reason you think he looks "ugly" is... poor care? Hmmmm?

Regardless, his legs and feet are a thing of beauty and a joy to behold. No mess of feathers glopping them up.

Also, that's quite a bit you have on your TB (probably a bicycle chain.) Either you don't know how to ride :tongue or, a snaffle is beyond your ken.

Last edited:
Outing Jade's attempt at snarky comments in tiny tiny tiny type. And I would suggest, Jade, that the reason you think he looks "ugly" is... poor care? Hmmmm?

Regardless, his legs and feet are a thing of beauty and a joy to behold. No mess of feathers glopping them up.
No he just is naturally ugly. I keep getting away with the tiny type, I should do it more often.. lmao

Back
Top Bottom