Who else owns a Tennessee Walker!?

I saw a few UTube pics of the "big lick" horses.......irks me big time. Looks goreous in pictures but to see that, naaaaaaaah! Looks so unnatural! And the riders looks like they are grabbing the hind end of the horse and crouching like a jockey....so unnatural.

I love the Natural TN Walkers, see that all the time in CW reenactments and
thumbsup.gif

Here is a picture of my TWH. They gal in the pic is her previous owner. My horse Cash was in training to be a big lick but was sold to me since they didn't think she was good enough to compete at a high level.

Cash-1.jpg

Thanks eveyone!

Quote:
As for the neck thing, he was like that when the lady gave him to me, I have soft hands and I use my seat and legs more than my hands. And for the bit, I've ridden him in eggbutt, dee ring, curb, and loose ring snaffle. He gaits well in all of those. I usually ride him in a dee ring. I'm not showing him, so I just want a smooth ride. And yes, he is purebred and has papers.

Last edited:
Awww... he's pretty!

My mom, sister and I collectively own 4 geldings and 1 mare TWH. They're great horses. I love their gaits... so smooth compared to non-gaited (which is great for me b/c I have back issues).

To the OP, he is a fine-looking horse. Since I am a certified judge, that should count for something, LOL! All breeds are judged on their conformation differently because they are all built differently. And I guess I think a short mane looks fine because many breeds are expected to have manes like that in the show-ring. Some are even roached, I do it to one of mine. I own Apps and a QH and a pony, but would love to ride a TWH, have heard nice things about their gaits! : )

Redcatcher, cutting a mane is done for many different shows, I and my daughter both compete in Western and English, and I judge all breeds, it just depends on what kind of classes and disciplines you are showing in. In some classes a long flowing mane is beautiful and acceptable, in others its not. And in some classes, its just personal preference instead of a specific style. As an ex. when you are banding and you are finished you cut everything to be the same length, when you take the bands out you are going to have a mane that is only 4-5 inches long. I can appreciate pretty much any length as long as it looks appropriate. : )

My dad always used to cut my horse's mane with a scissor and he would do it in the ugliest most horrible way. I think he used to do it just to annoy me! LOL A friend then showed me how to cut it using the clipper blade from clippers. You just use that to chop it down to the length you want and it looks real natural, even short. I used to love that! It really helped my horse look like she had a full mane too.

I love all these TWHs! I've always wanted a TW, but my dad is not such a big fan of gaited horses. As long as he pays the feed bill, I have to go along with what he likes! Perhaps someday I'll have a TW. Our one QH gelding does a running walk and it is so smooth and nice. I've read some QHs will do that, but it is unusual. I imagine that's what it would feel like to ride a TW though!

Back
Top Bottom