Who else took the chick plunge! (Pics on post 101)

I just added to my order once again, my DH is going to kill me!
th.gif
I had to change my Silver Penciled Hamburg to a Blue (kind of like the blue better anyway
big_smile.png
), then I added some Silkies and a Barred Cochin Pullet. I really trying to get that token Silkie pullet, last year ordered 2 got 2 boys, so this time I ordered 5, so hopefully one girl? Added the cochin girl since I got a cochin packing peanut last year that has turned into my favorite rooster, thought I'd get him a girl. He has been such a good sweet boy
love.gif

I just added to my order once again, my DH is going to kill me!
th.gif
I had to change my Silver Penciled Hamburg to a Blue (kind of like the blue better anyway
big_smile.png
), then I added some Silkies and a Barred Cochin Pullet. I really trying to get that token Silkie pullet, last year ordered 2 got 2 boys, so this time I ordered 5, so hopefully one girl? Added the cochin girl since I got a cochin packing peanut last year that has turned into my favorite rooster, thought I'd get him a girl. He has been such a good sweet boy
love.gif

gorgeous roo! I got my first batch of chicks in September and just put in my 2nd order for april chicks. 2 blue chochins, 4 blue silkies, 4 norwegian jaerhon, 2 speckled sussex, and 1 dark brahma. Those breeds are all new ones for me. I had been planning to wait another year to add to my flock but chicken math has struck again!

I have 2 barred cochins, 2 blue cochins, 2 red cochins, 2 speckled sussex, 2 EEs, 2 white leghorns and 8-10 packing peanuts coming from Ideal. Their hatch date Is the 25th, so they should be here the 26th or 27th. Im getting close!!!

Mine are also from Ideal's 25th hatch date. We should have them VERY soon! I'm so excited. I've got 10 Ameraucanas coming. We're planning for the packing peanuts to make some good dinners!

Mine are also from Ideal's 25th hatch date. We should have them VERY soon! I'm so excited. I've got 10 Ameraucanas coming. We're planning for the packing peanuts to make some good dinners!

I cant wait! Im at the post office checking to see if they came right now :) P.S-welcome to BYC!

Good morning..I am brand new to this forum and am excited to see all the info. My grandchildren talked me into trying our hand at chickens after we successfully saved and raised 3 muscovy ducklings and have had a flock of mallards adopt us.They come and go as they please but rely on us for all the good things in life like attention and the bulk of their food and fresh fruit & veggies for snacks.So we are ready to take the chicken plunge. I would really like to only raise 4 at this time and they will be strictly for eggs and pets. Any and all advice for beginners would be great.Thanks !

Good morning..I am brand new to this forum and am excited to see all the info. My grandchildren talked me into trying our hand at chickens after we successfully saved and raised 3 muscovy ducklings and have had a flock of mallards adopt us.They come and go as they please but rely on us for all the good things in life like attention and the bulk of their food and fresh fruit & veggies for snacks.So we are ready to take the chicken plunge. I would really like to only raise 4 at this time and they will be strictly for eggs and pets. Any and all advice for beginners would be great.Thanks !

Welcome to BYC! I would recommend you start with the raising baby chicks-notable topics index at the top of the raising baby chicks forum. Lots of great stuff in there..

I JUST ORDERED MINE!!!!! I am so excited! I don't know how I am going wait until they get here in April......I ordered 8 Araucanas, 6 Blue Laced Red Wyandotte, and 2 Lavendar Orpington.
I ordered form Chicken Scratch Poultry. So far I have been VERY impressed with their Customer Service! Hopefully their stock is decent.

WELCOME to "Grandma Chicken"! BYC is an awesome resource for beginners! Anything you need to know is right here. Is there specific info you are looking for?

Last edited:
Thank you for that great welcome! I have been reading books on the subject and I plan to also educate myself on this site. But to hear tried and true advice from people living it is always a great source. I am not sure if it is better to try and buy chicks locally or order by mail? I am unsure on how long they stay in a brooder box and most of all is there certain breeds that are friendlier and easy to handle?

Back
Top Bottom