Who has a problem peeling boiled eggs?

I admit...I was pretty skeptical. But this morning I decided to try your method...and it worked beautifully! My eggs came out almost perfect! No salt in the water needed!

I added three cold eggs straight from the refridgerator to the boiling water. I covered and boiled for 12 minutes. As soon as the time was up, I pulled the pot from the stove to the sink, and immediatly started running cold water over the eggs. After a moment or two of cold water I cracked and started to peel the eggs. The shells came off quickly and easily. The yolks were a lovely nice fluffy yellow, with no green ring like I usually see.

Thanks for the tip! I'll be doing my hardboiled eggs this way from now on!

steny

OK, I need to correct myself............I put two unpeeled boiled eggs that were boiled like the OP in the refrigerator over night and peeled one cold straight from the fridge with terrible results. The other one I ran very hot water over for about 15-30 seconds and it peeled flawlessly and quickly. So, it appears that one could keep the boiled eggs intact in the fridge after boiling and easily peel them at your leisure by either running hot water over the shell or maybe even soaking the egg in very hot (or even boiling) water for a few seconds. You would only want the shell to get hot, not the egg, so don't leave the egg in the hot water no more than 30 seconds or so.

I wonder if you could microwave for 5 seconds or so to heat up the shell without having an egg bomb explosion? Hmmmm, gotta try that.

I am going to boil some more and put a couple more unpeeled ones in the fridge and try the hot water method again tomorrow morning.

old.gif
This is my advice: DON'T DO IT !....................
hide.gif

old.gif

I always add a bit of baking soda to the boiling water and they peel a LOT easier!! :) Leaving them in the fridge for a couple weeks (or on the counter for a few days or so) helps too.

Last edited:
OK, so I tried the rolling boil, cold egg for 10 minutes method and ahead so-so results. I peeled after running under old water.

This would have been my first backyard raised egg boiled. I was a little surprised at the consistency of the white (it was mushy but solid) and yolk (it was a little tough though not over cooked). The peeling was ok, not a disaster but a little more difficult than store bought.

I think next time, I'll boil a full 12 minutes to see if the whites are firmer.

I tried it again yesterday with the same results, I am happy to say! I started the water boiling, added cold eggs from frig, boiled for 10 minutes and immediately ran under cold water for about 2 minutes and the shells come right off! No problems. This was a wonderful thread to find because I was having a heck of a time peeling my eggs. To the original poster, thank you so much for sharing!!
celebrate.gif

I tried it again yesterday with the same results, I am happy to say! I started the water boiling, added cold eggs from frig, boiled for 10 minutes and immediately ran under cold water for about 2 minutes and the shells come right off! No problems. This was a wonderful thread to find because I was having a heck of a time peeling my eggs. To the original poster, thank you so much for sharing!!
celebrate.gif

Your welcome. I always dreaded trying to peel boiled eggs and have thrown some in the garbage using a few choice words! When I finally found out this "recipe" for hard boiled eggs I was elated and wanted to share. I have always boiled mine for 11-15 minutes depending and have wonderful results. Thank you for sharing your positive experience.

old.gif

You guys sure boil your eggs a long time... We consider them overdone at 10 minutes, generally 6 is the maximum we boil them for. I'm no fan of soft boiled eggs though, I'll only eat raw egg if it's in egg-nog, lol.

You guys sure boil your eggs a long time... We consider them overdone at 10 minutes, generally 6 is the maximum we boil them for. I'm no fan of soft boiled eggs though, I'll only eat raw egg if it's in egg-nog, lol.
g'day mate! Yeah I boil them for a minimum of 11 minutes and have some in the pot now for 14 minutes. Difference may be that our eggs are refrigerated. Don't know if yours are or not. At eleven minutes they are perfect for salads and just eatin'. I boil some a bit longer when I make pickled eggs though.

We've eaten just a few raw eggs in our house, crack em in a glass, add a little hot sauce and down the hatch. Hey chooks you eat balut? If not, you don't know what you be missing especially the 21 day balut.....yummy!

old.gif

Last edited:
Lol, when I read 'g'day mate' I automatically looked at your location, thinking you were Aussie. ;)

Nah, we don't refrigerate ours. So that could be it.

Quote: Awww, no, gross, man! I thought I remembered what 'balut' meant, but wasn't sure, so I looked it up... No thanks!

Having said that I'm not entirely sure I wouldn't eat a deer's heart raw if I'd hunted and killed it... LOL, now I sound like some kind of sicko... Heart muscle has very high concentrations of coenzyme Q10, or ubidecarenone, which is the energy that powers all our cells. I have depleted levels of it. We tend to crave what we are deficient in. So I might hazard a guess that you are deficient nutrientwise in something that is present in young birds. But personally I'd prefer ethically killed food, myself. ;) Boiling alive sounds too harsh. I've recently seen videos of Asian people boiling dogs alive for food.

Oh Wow! I'm a believer! I tried it and it worked beautifully. Usually my fresh eggs tear so bad. This time there wasn't one spot of stuck egg to shell. I peeled them perfectly
celebrate.gif

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom