Who has a problem peeling boiled eggs?

I had completely stopped bowling egg because the fresh eggs were so hard to peel I tried this last night when I got home and it works so good this is how im going to be doing my eggs from now on

I had completely stopped bowling egg because the fresh eggs were so hard to peel I tried this last night when I got home and it works so good this is how im going to be doing my eggs from now on
Glad you are happy neighbor....

I admit...I was pretty skeptical. But this morning I decided to try your method...and it worked beautifully! My eggs came out almost perfect! No salt in the water needed!

I added three cold eggs straight from the refridgerator to the boiling water. I covered and boiled for 12 minutes. As soon as the time was up, I pulled the pot from the stove to the sink, and immediatly started running cold water over the eggs. After a moment or two of cold water I cracked and started to peel the eggs. The shells came off quickly and easily. The yolks were a lovely nice fluffy yellow, with no green ring like I usually see.

Thanks for the tip! I'll be doing my hardboiled eggs this way from now on!

steny

I tried it again yesterday with the same results, I am happy to say! I started the water boiling, added cold eggs from frig, boiled for 10 minutes and immediately ran under cold water for about 2 minutes and the shells come right off! No problems. This was a wonderful thread to find because I was having a heck of a time peeling my eggs. To the original poster, thank you so much for sharing!!
celebrate.gif

Oh Wow! I'm a believer! I tried it and it worked beautifully. Usually my fresh eggs tear so bad. This time there wasn't one spot of stuck egg to shell. I peeled them perfectly
celebrate.gif

I am glad you had no problem peeling your eggs. So many are skeptical until they try it. I'm happy to pass it on, but not as happy as I was to learn how to do it....lol.

old.gif

Last edited:
I found out about this a few months ago. Yes, it works perfectly! Even on eggs that were laid that very day.

Everyone has no problems peeling eggs huh? I feel like the Lone Ranger in that I must be the only person on here that had trouble peeling eggs, whether they are fresh or not. I have 3 quarts of pickled eggs in the refrigerator now and I am going to make a few soft boiled eggs for lunch today. For once, I actually enjoy peeling the eggs. (I wonder why it is called peeling instead of shelling?)

Has anybody tried this method yet?

old.gif

Hmmm...I have always done this though only because I wanted the eggs fast and the cold water helped cool them down for eating. Every once in a blue moon, I'll just let the eggs sit in the warm water til they cool, but still most of the shells peel off easily enough. I'll keep this in mind though. Nice tip. Thanks

Quote: This is what worked for me, finally, after a long time battling to peel hardboiled eggs. After boiling the eggs I drain the hot water, fill the pan with cold water and a few ice cubes. Once the eggs are cool enough to handle, I use a teaspoon to knock a small hole in the fat end of the egg's shell and then crack a line down the length of the egg before dumping it back in the water. The water seeps in-between the shell and the egg contents and the shell comes right off.

Anyone brave enough to try this method for getting a bunch of shells of at once?

http://lifehacker.com/peel-the-shells-off-a-bunch-of-hard-boiled-eggs-in-unde-1041435929

I've peeled a bunch of cloves of garlic with this method using two metal mixing bowls but never eggs.

That worked beautifully. And the eggs had been refrigerated several days both before and after boiling. Shells came right off after just a few seconds of vigorous shaking in a couple inches of water in the closed plastic container.

I am 67 years old and I just learned how to peel soft or hard boiled eggs without tearing up the egg and in under 10 seconds per egg!

Follow this simple easy anybody can do it recipe for easy peeling of eggs.

Put a pot of water on your stove and bring to a rolling boil.
Remove eggs from your refrigerator and using a large spoon gently put the cold eggs in boiling water.
You may cover if you wish and boil 11 minutes for soft boiled or 15 for harder boiled eggs.
When your time is up remove and drain and run cold water over eggs for a minute or two.
I peel them under a bit of running water but not necessary.
Even if an egg cracks when you put it in boiling water, it will still peel very easily.
Not many even crack though, maybe one out of a dozen, but it is still good.

Some or many of you on here already know this, but I didn't and I am sure there are others that don't.

Now I can just hear the doubting Thomas's think I'm pulling their leg by suggesting a cold egg in boiling water, right? Well, somebody on here who like me, has always had trouble peeling eggs will try this and they will then thank this old man.

old.gif

Those that try it, post your results......

So - I boiled 8 eggs this way. Put four in a Tupperware containing an inch or so of cold water. Put four in a strainer and ran cold water over them. Peeled 3 of the 4 in the running cold water easily - the fourth was a challenge still. Put the top on the Tupperware and shook vigorously for about 5 seconds then opened it. One egg had shelled itself completely. Two others peeled as easily as had most of the eggs using the running cold water method. The fourth in the Tupperware hadn't even cracked. So I cracked and peeled it easily. Both methods worked well. The Tupperware method was quicker, but don't shake it too long or you can embed bits of shells in the eggwhite. Both methods are better than what I'd been doing and work for eggs laid as recently as yesterday. Thanks.

I haven't been on BYC for months and could not resist reading another thread on how to boil fresh eggs. Why? Because you used the same method it took me a long time to be willing to try and the only one I have used since trying it. (I do cover my eggs, once they have come back to a boil I turn the heat off and time them). 90+% peel perfect and none have green rings. I used to put ice in the water for a quick cool down but have found it doesn't make much difference. The method of putting them in boiling water works whether they are fresh from the chicken, fridge or counter top and age has nothing to do with it.

I am pleased to see your thread shows evidence of folks trying it and giving feed back regarding how successful the method is. On most threads it is taken over by folks who want to add salt,or vinegar, age eggs, steam them, bake them in the oven or just spend money on a gadget that you break into and they come out shaped like an egg!

BTW, I learned this much earlier than you: I was 64 and have only been cooking since I was 8. My son said he had no trouble with boiling the fresh eggs I gave him. I asked how he cooked them and he said he boiled the water and put them in. Obviously I didn't teach him how to boil eggs nor had he read a cook book.

In recent years I have watched a lot of the TV program Chopped. One night it was most entertaining to watch them get green chicken eggs to cook. One young lady really freaked out about those. She lost because she could not boil an egg properly! She put it in cold water and when she could not peel it well, she blamed it on their color. Some folks just do better with 3 month old factory eggs from the store!

Thanks for letting me visit a bit.

Hey that is really good advice...thank you..IV had an awful time trying to Peel my fresh boiled eggs...thank you old man...lol

Back
Top Bottom