Who Has Large Fowl Silkies From TSC Store?

MysteryChicken

Preserving Gamefowl, 1 Variety At a Time🇮🇳🇺🇸
Premium Feather Member
6 Years
May 31, 2018
Tawas City, Michigan
1218181100.jpg
1218181101.jpg
My big Silkie Roo next to a Standard Buff Orpington hen.

In the US there is only one standard for Silkies where as the UK has both bantam and not. They are all consider bantam in the US.

In my own breeding stock I have seen some large boys... :drool it's key IMO for breeders to select against large size...

I think Silkies should be bantam. :p Personal preference of course, to each their own! :pop

I was thinking about creating giant silkies that are the size of Brahmas.
Silkies are actually one of the... BEEatchiest breeds I have bred and raised... the males being the worst. That is to other flock members. And definitely NOT the brightest of breeds. :duc :smack

Only like 6 more waiting for freezer camp! And TWO whole months without a broody. :oops::celebrate

But you could simply breed the silkie feather gene into the Brahma. Many breeds are being Silkied these days. :)

Or select for large size if that's what you like... and HEY... why not work to make TWO separate standards... or get them accepted by the APA, ABA... er um whoever. :pop

Okay, I guess I can try making some silkied brahmas with giant silkies. Someone suggested that I join a poultry club that specializes in LF silkies, or join the APA. My silkie roo is very smart protects his ladies.

Back
Top Bottom