Who Has Parrots?

tonkatuff

Songster
11 Years
Apr 29, 2008
Orange County NY
Considering adopting an African grey (congo) from a client who can no longer care for the bird. SUPPOSEDLY the bird doesn't have any issues, not plucking, quiet, accepts strangers. I know these guys are a lifelong commitment and require a lot of specialized care, wondering if it's worth giving it a shot.

I've had my Congo African Gray for about 24 years--since 1987. He is very vocal and has a HUGE vocabulary. He and my yellow-nape Amazon hold whole conversations that are hysterical. Their cages are in the main room so they get a lot of interaction with people, which seems to be something these two need to be happy. They have a wide-ranging diet and can get messy with their food, so we keep plastic under the cages to make it easy to clean up after them. They are not birds that do well without personal bonding like, say a pair of lovebirds who only need each other--these two need attention daily. They can be noisy, especially around sunrise or sundown, both of which my 2 can see each day. Then there is a lot of squawking, but we're used to it. Mine are generally sweet birds who will answer when you talk to them. Personally I enjoy them!

HTH

Rusty

Last edited:
I, my entire life, have wanted a parrot. I am a complete bird lover. Parrots and cockatoos are my favorites. I have never been able to afford one. Our local feed store had an african grey baby there for $1200. I used to go in everyday after work and play with him. He would turn over in his cage and say " pet me, my pet" over and over. I would do just that. He would then right himself and thank me. I was near broken hearted when someone bought him.

I had a Double Yellow Headed Amazon and a Blue and Gold McCaw. I re-homed them because the amazon was already a biter, and the McCaw bit my husband and I was afraid they would bite the babies.

They are fun to have.

It's a long story how I ended up with these Budgies, so I'll spare you. All I can say is they sing all day long, love to fly around the house, love going outside (in their cage) and pretty much just love life in general. They only know how to say 'good morning' and 'good night' but they're learning. These are awesome birds. My neighbor has Macaws who stay outside during the day and I can hear them squawking from 1/2 mile away. Even these little squirts will live for 15 years. Just make sure your neighbors are parrot friendly
big_smile.png

80433_squeaky_burds.jpg

Definitely 'give it a shot'

Last edited:
Parrots are awesome companions if you can adjust your lifestyle to live with them. They really don't ask for much, and when you get a routine down everything just clicks.

I agree with the above comment about them being messy eaters! Whenever I hear someone say that 'so-and-so eats like a bird', I picture them flinging their foods on the walls after one nibble. Whomever came up with that phrase, never actually saw a bird eat. Or at least, not a parrot.
lol.png

We're dominated by four. Parrotlet, greencheek conure, maxi pionus, and a mealy amazon. Only one was purchased as a baby, the rest were rehomes. Those sweet handfed babies are wonderful, but sometimes a "used" bird is a better choice. What you see will pretty much be what you'll gte, rather than russian roulette once they hit puberty.

Greys are amazing birds. I've never had one, but have had the opportunity to interact with several. Best of luck with whatever you decide.

I would go for it. I LOVE greys.... i have handfed a few of them and you will just be AMAZED how smart they are.
What i WOULD do though is, go visit the bird, and spend time with him.... handle him and see how he reacts to you...

Quote:
Same thing happened to me. Our local pet shop had a beautiful little cockatoo that I got in the habit of visiting couple times a week. He always came over and asked to have his head scratched. I spent way to much time in there and I was so sad when I came one day and he was gone. Poor little bird, he sat in that store for so long before someone finally bought him and took him home. I just wish it could have been me!

not trying to be a downer here but theres some major things to remember with greys.

of all the parrots african greys tend to be incredibly 1 person birds...
they can be incredibly visious to nayone they dont deem their person so be prepared you may have to work incredibly hard to not only earn this birds respect...but trust also.
and even with lots of work you may never be able to hold him, or he may bond wiht someone else in the house.

(my friends mother has a grey, got him in fuz hand fed him, spent almost every waking hour with him...hes decided he doesnt like her and only likes my frined, the woman who raised him doted on him and wanted him more than anything else in the world cant even go neer his cage if her daughter is around and even when shes not hell only let her pet him when hes on his cage, she cannot hold him at all.)

this is the same with all resuce parrots, but greys are well known for being incredibly tough to "re-bond"
if your expectng bird to come home and settle right in and be your bestest bud...this is not the bird for you...
if your willing to work hard and possibly never be able to hold the bird and are ok simply talking to him, then this could be wonderfull...

also remember one persons bad habits might not be the same as anothers...
my grandfathers grey has "no bad habits" unless you count swearing like a sailor or biting anyone that puts their fingers on or neer the cage, or attacking my grandmother if she gets too close to my grandfather. lol.

greys also can be very stressy birds, he may not be a lucker right now, but when hes moved form the only family he has known he could start displaying plucking from stress along with pasing, screaming, bobbing/rocking ect...
best way to overcome this is patients and quiet, start him out in a quiet room of the house and let him get used to you first before moving him slowly towards the main area of the house...

they have beaks of steal like all parrots, toys, lots of them, including plenty of wood and shredables

they can be LOUD...
the nice thing with greys is once they start talking the majority of the noise is usually words...
but when they get squarky i swear greys can outsqwark even the biggest of the macaws, generally morning time and then in the evening are "squark time" its his wa of calling to his flock to see where everyone is for wake up and sleep times.

if your seriously considering this my suggestion would be go hang out with him a few times first, meet him talk to him, sit with him ect, let him get to know you in a familiar environment before changing things up on him, at least this way when you move him to his new home hell already know YOU and it wont be quite so stressfull.

i LOVE greys, they are incredibly smart, and amazing talkers...

side note, greys like lots of fresh foods including cooked chicken...(in the wild greys will kill monkeys and eat them 0.0)

i will say this about having any arrot in the house...youll never be bored or lonely again...
i have a severe macaw and every day he thinks up new ways to make me laugh...

oh, and always keep the phone on you...
once he masters your telephones ring youll be answering it every 5 minutes LOL...
my grandfathers bird mimics the phone sooooo well that they cannot tell the difference between the bird ringing and the actual phoen ringing so they keep the phone on answering machine because its barneys favotrite sound to make...
even better is when barney then answers the phone in an identical replica of my grandfathers voice and proceded to have a one sided conversation with himself as my grandfather lol
and i cant tell you how many tmes grandad has told my nan to "put the kettle on" (or 'time for a cuppa") (cup of tea), she makes it, brings it to ab only to be told..."i didnt ask for this" yup, you guessed it...the bird...

Back
Top Bottom