Who has raised Buff orpingtons before?

I've got several!! They are great! Our rooster is our second Buff Orp rooster, and he's a great dude. We've got four hens as well. They are cold hardy and pretty darn tough, not to mention they've been pretty consistent layers. Easy keepers and generally pretty upbeat little guys. They do love escaping our fence, but nobody is perfect 😅

I've got 3 Buffs, about 5-6 weeks old. They're a little skittish, but adventurous and quite sweet. I think they're all pullets, but it's a little too soon for me to tell. They're very sweet with the rest of my flock, who are a bit younger. The first day I got them, they were all 1.5-2 weeks old. They all looked like they'd been through a fight! Scruffy, feathers ruffled, sort of rangy. Now they're gorgeous, sleek and feathered out. I'm looking forward to seeing how they develop!

We have 2, Buffy and Ginger.

They are both very sweet, always the first to pop in the coop with me when I’m working. Very attentive, love to sit on our laps.

Good producers, and nice to the others around them.

We have 2 lavEnders as well, one very nice the other gal is pretty bold near the top of the order.

One chocolate in the brooder now.

We would get the Buffs again, all of them again really.

I have raised BO’s and I love them, I am putting lavenders in the incubator next week and picking up two BO chicks tomorrow. So friendly, so fluffy I love them ❤️
A65F4ACC-A92C-4938-B8B7-520008215729.jpeg

I am raising 3 buff orpington chicks at the moment and was wondering if anyone else has or is planning to or has some in their flock now!
Those are the only ones I've always had and will always have. Love the breed and the eggs are nice and big.
They may not be the most prolific layers, with an average of six hens in production I usually average 3-5 eggs a day; and for two people that's MORE than enough for us. I sell the occasional carton now and then and freeze several dozen for use during the winter.
My girls are well conditioned as chicks/pullets to being handled and held. They're in a fully fenced and covered run during the weekdays but on the weekends when it's not raining I sit out in the yard or work in the vegetable garden while they free range; when I sit out I usually have a 'lap chicken' to keep me company. They've been known to squabble with each other for space on my lap.
They get broody from time to time but I have a fool-proof method of breaking them that I learned from my grandmother a long time ago and I just run the process and in 3 days no more broody bird.
They get a bit cranky when molting but all hens do so I just avoid any unnecessary touching/handling and give them lots of high protein treats to get the feathers growing.

Back
Top Bottom