Who Here Breeds Ducks For Pets, Meat, Eggs, or Commercial?

FunnyBunnies12

Songster
9 Years
Aug 28, 2010
Cedar Springs, Michigan
I was just wondering how many of you strictly breed or raise ducks as enjoyment of pets, or food, or commercial to sale at Farm/Fleet stores for Easter.

Me, this was all unintended, but for me now Pets and eggs.

As pets and for eggs. Not for meat, since it is hard to butcher something with so much personality. I may offer hatching eggs of my Saxony ducks next year. Won't be for income, just for fun.

Mostly pets... But I am hoping for eggs and we have too many drakes and so there will be some eating--- But if I have to guess not by me as I have never liked the taste of duck meat and unless my sister-in-law finds an awesome recipe I doubt I will be sold on it. She is very excited about eating our ducks
idunno.gif
We will see. According to her there is a market around us for it but I don't think I will be good at butchering anytime soon. The two chickens we did turned out OK but... I didn't like the process (and the kids have yet to figure out what Mom and Grandpa did as I haven't had the heart to tell them)

I think if I were to sell our extra males they would end up as food anyway and I would rather be the one eating them than someone else. As for the breeding part- I guess we will have to see next year as the grand plan was to have some babies next spring
thumbsup.gif
Not sure if the hubby is up to this yet but I am sure he will come around.

Eggs, first. Pets, second. Ducklings to sell, third. Meat, MAYBE if I can bring myself to do it.

A side effect of breeding any polygynous species is that you will always have extra males, and you have to figure out what to do with them. There are only so many good pet homes available for drakes and in my book, it's more humane to kill & eat a well-cared-for animal in a quick & painless way than it is to let it go to a home where it won't be cared for.

But originally, they were purchased for eggs.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom