Who is having trouble hatching goose eggs this year?

I hatched out only 4 last year and 1 this year. That is with about 50 eggs total, so I gave up 2 days ago on putting new eggs to incubate and I put my latest 8 eggs under a broody RIR. I have about 10 goose eggs to finish off in the incubator and then I'm just going to use it for guinea and chicken eggs only.

I've had terrible luck with my geese hatching their own eggs. Granted, most of my girls are first timers but I checked a nest of one of my three year old girls who's raised goslings in the past - I think her entire nest is a dud too. I think it a lot of it was erratic temps and a Spring that is taking forever to get here.

Now, I'm really glad I didn't sell off any of my adults last Fall.

Joni

I also have had horrible luck this year. I have set over 100 chinese eggs and hatched only 10. Of these 2 were malformed and died and two died at three days after being otherwise normal. I have 2 more batches set now but will just be making scrambled eggs from any eggs I still get. Too frustrating and sad

I hatched 3 out of 8 Embdens, but this is my first time incubating goose eggs. I may have just messed something up. My goose is sitting on another 5. Hopefully, she'll do better
smile.png

I'm in the same boat as everyone else. My girls hatch their own eggs, so I don't have to worry about an incubator but I still have had a poor hatch rate over the years. The girls layed and sat on about 60 eggs and only 2 have hatched last year. They usually step on the eggs and break them or leave them unattended for days, so the babies die before hating and of course MANY of them were not fertile. This year only 3 goslings have hatched so far and the 4 girls together are setting on about 50 eggs. I really don't expect any more to hatch.
hmm.png

I thought it was just me and my bad luck with goose eggs hatching. I start off each year saying that NO eggs will hatch and I won't have any babies. So, when a baby is born, I"m not disappointed. I know it's a sad way to think but that's the only way I don't get disappointed.

barnie.gif
I have goslings coming out of my ears!! My incubators are full! We have stopped collecting eggs...I will try to send my luck your way!

Goslings5-9.jpg

Pomeranians.jpg

Last edited:
I wonder why everyone's having so much trouble. Is this unusual or is it just always difficult to hatch geese (except for addicted2quack, lucky duck)?

Back
Top Bottom