Who is laying the first egg contest. We have a winner!! #42&#47

patman75

Songster
10 Years
Apr 17, 2009
Michigan - in the thumb
It that time of year, my 6 pullets should be laying any day now.

Place your bets on what pullet will lay First and Second. I'm torn on who will be first.

Here are the choices all hatchery stock.

18-19 week old
White-grey leghorn
New Hamphire
RIR - Production red
Buff Orpington
Black Sexlink

17-18 week old
Isa brown - red sexlink - golden comet

The correct guess will be praised for their chicken knowledge.
bow.gif
bow.gif
bow.gif

28412_sam_0200.jpg

New hamphire in the back center. BO left, Isa Brown left front. RIR in between new hamphire and Isa brown.

28412_sam_0198.jpg

28412_sam_0202.jpg

Thanks for playing and good luck!

Last edited:
Rhode Island Red looks ready...so, I'm going with her 1st. Against the tide, I'm going with Golden Comet for 2nd.

Quote:
I have seen some checking out of the nest boxes with golfballs. No squatting yet but I have not gone around and tried to make them squat. But If I seen a squatter I would not tell. I dont want to ruin the fun for everyone.
big_smile.png

I have zero experience upon which to base my guess....I'm going with the RIR for 1st place, only because my RIR's just started laying at 21 weeks old!!!
big_smile.png

My guess would be the sexlinks in first and second place. I have an Orpington that I would have sworn would be first. She's the biggest, oldest, most red in the face, etc., but nope not her! It was Mimi the Marans! That was 2 weeks ago and Lily the Orp still hasn't layed one the free loader!
barnie.gif

Quote:
My last Orp didn't start laying 28-30 weeks. I have no reason to believe that this won't be any different. Large breeds always take longer to lay.

AARRGGGHHHH!! I have two Buffs and one Lavender out of my five hens. I guess I should practice my patience...............not one of my strongest virtues.
roll.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom