Who is the noisiest in your flock?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Nicole01, Aug 30, 2011.

1. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    My noisiest chicken is definatly my speckled sussex pullet that is 22 weeks old. She walks around day and night squawking and needs to be heard![​IMG] Second place is my beautiful rhode island red that is a great layer. My SS is also one of the sweetest and nicest birds in my flock as well! My SS will sing the egg song every time someone else is in the nest laying an egg! This will alert me there is an egg to collect soon! I love it. [​IMG]

Which breed in your flock likes to be heard the most?

Last edited: Aug 30, 2011
  2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    The noisiest gal is a little Cream Brabanter that I call Petite Miss. (She's actually a large fowl, but on the petite size.) She walks around squawking and grumbling to herself all day long.

Here she is, along side of my Olive Egger hen, Olive!
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 30, 2011
  3. redeye roy

redeye roy Out Of The Brooder

Apr 26, 2011
    i have a bsl is loud on an off nest i guess she is the cheer leader for the girls:ya

4. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    My Golden Cuckoo Marans is by far the loudest!! The SLW comes in 2nd place!! [​IMG]

5. JulieNKC

JulieNKC Overrun With Chickens

Sep 25, 2010
    Kansas City
    My RIR constantly walks around grumbling. She doesn't ever shut up, but isn't loud really. My BO's can be heard for about an hour from very far away when they are announcing their egg's though.

6. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    In my older brahma flock it would definitely be Jezebel, a light brahma hen. Jezebel talks in her sleep even.

Younger flock, without a doubt, my SF Ray. More than once I've run outside expecting a slaughter by the sound of it but no, just Ray.

7. GardenGal

GardenGal Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    Western WA
    Bobby, our SS roo with no tail is definitely the loudest. He crows, and also informs me when they're low on water, treats, or if there's a deer in the nieghborhood. He's started making a sound like an old man gargling, don't know what that's about! He's very entertaining.

The next most vocal is our big RIR hen, who isn't loud but questions us about things all day long. The other hens have been imitating her for a while now.

Actually, they're all pretty chatty. Fortunately we aren't getting dirty looks from our neighbors [​IMG]

8. Fierlin1182

Fierlin1182 powered-flight

Aug 26, 2011
    Unfortunately our most noisy hen is the one with the demanding, raspy voice that always makes her sound like she's angrily complaining! [​IMG]

9. Mama Hen Chris

Mama Hen Chris Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2010
    Peoria, AZ
    This is Hazel my Speckled Sussex. She is the loudest by far. No polite buk buks from her. She screams!!! And she used to be the quiet one.

The neighbors probably wonder what is going on in our backyard!!!

[​IMG]

10. starforever61

starforever61 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2009
    My chickens are all really quiet. They only cluck gently when they see me with food. Haha no excitement unless they're getting new roomies! [​IMG]

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by