Votes: 1 9.1%
  • Only the extra from what I have had to use in the passed

Votes: 1 9.1%

• Total voters

Chicks in VA

Bantams are the best👍😁
Mar 27, 2021
take a guess
I was just wondering how many people have medicine on back up , I love to have extra in case of something bad plus I think its smarter so you dont have to waste time going and getting medicine if they are sick ,injured ect.
Thanks!

Lots of people have "poultry first aid kits" on hand. (There are lots of threads on here about it, too)
An example of a medicine I had on hand for my flock is Miconazole for yeast infections in crops; I bought it last spring. Yesterday one of my hens got impacted/doughy crop and it was great to have the Miconazole ready for her right away.

Other than that, I don't have much, besides regular medicines for humans that can also be used for poultry, such as antibiotic ointments and hydrogen peroxide. There is a Tractor Supply right near my house, so I can get special medications pretty quickly in case of emergency.

I just threw away many medications and supplies (most unused) that were were expensive and 10 years expired. Corid, Sulmet (a sulfa antibiotic no longer sold,) Valbazen wormer, Oxytetracycline powder, and Tylan. I would try to find where you can source supplies in a hurry at a local feed store. Most of the things you might need are expensive, but may be sourced that day at even grocery stores. Some things may run out of stock during periods when people are buying chicks at feed stores. Many of the things some people falsely tell you that you just have to give your chickens are not really necessary. Those include ACV, DE, and others. I would have some electrolytes around. You can make some homemade with a quart of water, a tsp of sugar, and a tiny pinch of salt, or use Gatorade or Pedialyte. Vitamins are nice, and those come in some electrolytes. B complex tablets for people are useful as a vitamin when needed. If you are hatching or expecting baby chicks, make sure that you have those for a weak chick, or can get Corid if they have symptoms of coccidiosis. I have never had a case in 13 years. With prices much higher than a decade ago, it is a shame to waste money. Do use clean water every day, and a fresh decent chicken feed appropriate for age. Having a spare heat lamp around might also come in handy.

I have accumulated medicine/supplements/bandages for chickens over time as I need it. I don't buy something just to have it; I'd rather do research and find the most effective treatment before getting what I see on the shelf.

Back
Top Bottom