Who knew it was so easy to make Kettle Corn at home??

journey11

Crowing
15 Years
Feb 14, 2009
WV
Hey guys, did you know that it is ridiculously easy to make REAL kettle corn at home? Amazing what you can learn on the internet... For a fraction of the cost of a sad little bag of microwave kettle corn, you can have the real thing! Next time you have a sweet tooth, try it.

You'll need:

A large pot with a lid, like you make soup in.
2 potholders for when things get hot.
A few tbsps of corn or canola oil.
1/2 cup of plain popcorn kernels.
1/4 cup of sugar.
A spoon to stir with.
A salt shaker, to taste.

Have everything ready, because you gotta move quickly...

Put enough oil in the pot to cover the bottom to a depth of about 1/8 of an inch.

On high heat, heat oil until it begins to ripple. Toss in 3 popcorn kernels and watch for them to pop. Then your oil is ready.

Dump in your 1/2 cup of popcorn and then add your 1/4 cup of sugar. Take your spoon and quickly stir to melt and distribute the sugar.

Put the lid on and get ready for the magic to happen. Hold the pot on the heat for 3 seconds, lift it up and swirl and shake the kernels for 3 seconds, on heat 3, shake 3, repeat...until all popping stops. Shaking will keep the kernels on the bottom and will prevent the popped popcorn from scorching, so don't be lazy!
smile.png

The sugar will caramelize and evenly coat all the popcorn. Give it a good sprinkle of salt and stir, salting until you get it how you like it. Pour it into a big ol' bowl. Let it cool a bit and dig in. Hits the spot!

pop.gif
pop.gif
pop.gif

Oh, thanks for posting that! I just had some kettle corn at the fair, it is a tradition of ours! Now I won't have to wait all year when I get a craving!!!

But who's going to wash the pan?
lau.gif
That does sound wonderful, thanks for posting it!

Football season, bring it on!
pop.gif
pop.gif

Quote:
sounds like a good enough reason to go pan shopping
big_smile.png

mmmmm kitchen gadgets..... these are a few of my favorite things...
lau.gif

(eta speaking of which, the teenager burned out my cake pan the other night, and I need a new frying pan - have you any idea how hard it is to find a good frying pan that I like??? took me a half a year to find this one
sad.png
)

meri

Last edited:
I fell in love with cast iron cooking. It took me 12 years to take them out of the box & season the pans. They were an Xmas gift from the IL's. Now I don't fry with out them. I bought an 18 incher for camp.Cooks a dozen eggs & a pound of bacon all at once.

Back
Top Bottom