Who lays a speckled brown egg?

stephhassler

Songster
10 Years
Jan 30, 2009
Eastern Iowa
I have one girl who lays a beautiful dark brown speckled egg. My options are barred rock, rir, white langshan, columbian wyandotte, dark cornish, or white crested polish. I'm leaning toward the rir. I also have some mutts that I got from my sister. She says it can't be one of those because none of the possible parents on her farm layed speckled eggs. I'm not good at genetics, is it possibly a recessive gene? Could it be one of the mutts?

22071_december_085.jpg

BARRED PLYMOTH ROCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
BARED PLYMOTH ROCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have to express my opionion...

Fact: When I looked at the picture I instantly thought of my Barred Plymoth Rock eggs. They are pinkish like that and have brown speckels!!!

i have two that lay speckled eggs, and one is a barnevelder and the other is a RSL. not sure if it has anything to do with genetics...might just be her own unique paint job!

Several of my brahma girls lay speckled egg from time to time. With them at least it doesn't seem to be a genetics things - I don't know much about genetics, but it seems to me if it were genetics it would happen more frequently. It just happens.
idunno.gif

Well I currently have

2 Cochin
1 Plymouth Rocks
2 Austrolaps
2 Star Reds
2 Buckeyes
2 Speckled Sussex

That all lay brown eggs. I get 3 or 4 with spots on them like that. could be any of them. Good luck on your search

Back
Top Bottom