Votes: 23 53.5%
  • Sure, they're pretty cool

Votes: 4 9.3%
  • I like looking at them, but not touching them

Votes: 5 11.6%
  • My chickens like them more than I do

Votes: 11 25.6%

• Total voters
I LOVE insects so much I feel sad when my chickens kill them and that's why I don't breed mealworm.
I'm okay if mine eat the spiders...
Once though a giant dragon fly flew into my window, it was hummingbird season, and I thought it was a hummingbird, I ran outside to find my chicken eating it!! I stood in shock for a minute before realizing it thank-goodness wasn't a hummingbird 🤣 🤦‍♀️

Recently I have been fascinated with insects! I still don't exactly love touching them, but they are amazing when you get down to their level and really look at them! I love researching and learning about them too! Who else likes insects? Wanna share what you've seen recently? (Domestic or wild)

The other day I found a beetle frozen into the ice with a tiny bubble of air near "his" head, where he must have been for several hours at least. He was alive and wriggling. I cracked the ice to set him loose and observed him moving slowly. I put him in a container in the sun where he was back to normal speed within an hour, and then I released him. Random question, does anybody else feel the urge to call small creatures and insects, especially beetles, "Buddy"?

A couple pictures of Buddy (I think he's pretty cute):
View attachment 2441263
View attachment 2441266
View attachment 2441269

And here's a cool picture of a Praying Mantis I found on my camera!
View attachment 2441274

Anybody else want to share?
I went to the Smithsonian in January and got to hold some of their giant bugs. The guy taking care of them obviously loved them and talked to them like I do my chickens. The difference with chickens is that they talk back.

He's gorgeous!!!! My poor breakfast will have to Rest In Piece t
I love insects to! It is very sad when my Buff Orp Hen Daisy ( currently egg bound ) Ate a pretty butterfly! She just gobbled it down like it was nothing it was so pretty! :hit
That's sad :( But at least Daisy enjoyed it

I went to the Smithsonian in January and got to hold some of their giant bugs. The guy taking care of them obviously loved them and talked to them like I do my chickens. The difference with chickens is that they talk back.
That's funny, comparing bugs to chickens!

Awwww cute craby!!!!! I've got one of those!!
I have pulled Fishers out of my own bed though.

Here's a small drifter I removed this fall.
View attachment 2441708
Wow!!!! That's so cool!!!!! I love that pic!! She looks so cool!!
I LOVE insects so much I feel sad when my chickens kill them and that's why I don't breed mealworm.
I do breed mealies to feed to my jumping spiders and wolf spider, also my lil craby!!! I've got three male phiddipus audax and one female.
Male 1 : Luigi
Male 2 : mochey
Male 3 : citrus
Female: Cali
I've got one wolf spider, her name is ember and the lil craby is mr crab lol
Wow that's awesome!!!!!! Pics?!?!?!?!

These are amazing photos. I liked the angle you chose. You are lucky if you can capture insects on camera and take beautiful pictures. My problem is that I can't get rid of them. These insects are constantly climbing into my apartment and can bite. There's not much to like, is there? My sister tried to get rid of it too. In particular, she tried to find a cure for bats because these animals were constantly living in her attic and scaring her baby. I think in cases like this, it's essential to have wildlife removal services contacts that help get rid of these animals, right?
Yeah, I would call wildlife removal too if I was in your position. I believe the house is for the humans, and the yard is for wild animals (as long as they don't harm the people or my animals). But really it is up to you.

I love these beatles.
53EDA21E-0874-4807-99D1-FAB3472B6BE1.jpeg
9E016506-5684-4C04-9577-06767F594A4B.jpeg
FC6B8C8B-6DEA-452F-B768-5C65AC7ABDDE.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom