Votes: 23 53.5%
  • Sure, they're pretty cool

Votes: 4 9.3%
  • I like looking at them, but not touching them

Votes: 5 11.6%
  • My chickens like them more than I do

Votes: 11 25.6%

• Total voters
My chickens love insects! Some insects seem to love chickens, too. We have clouds of lesser house flies in our yard during the day. :hmm Luckily they don't bite or anything.

Aside from that, I have seen several butterflies in the yard, and a number of honeybees in our neighborhood.

Reminder: Spiders are not insects. They are arachnids. 🕷️

Recently I have been fascinated with insects! I still don't exactly love touching them, but they are amazing when you get down to their level and really look at them! I love researching and learning about them too! Who else likes insects? Wanna share what you've seen recently? (Domestic or wild)

The other day I found a beetle frozen into the ice with a tiny bubble of air near "his" head, where he must have been for several hours at least. He was alive and wriggling. I cracked the ice to set him loose and observed him moving slowly. I put him in a container in the sun where he was back to normal speed within an hour, and then I released him. Random question, does anybody else feel the urge to call small creatures and insects, especially beetles, "Buddy"?

A couple pictures of Buddy (I think he's pretty cute):
View attachment 2441263
View attachment 2441266
View attachment 2441269

And here's a cool picture of a Praying Mantis I found on my camera!
View attachment 2441274

Anybody else want to share?
I do like some bugs......ones that move slow. For example, I like tarantulas. We found a Desert Blonde Tarantula in our yard and I liked holding him. His feet felt like Q-Tips walking up and down my arm! On the other hand, I HATE (and am actually afraid of) roaches of any kind! I know some people raise dubia roaches for their chickens.....not me!!! I raise mealworms, but that's as far as I will go!

I do like some bugs......ones that move slow. For example, I like tarantulas. We found a Desert Blonde Tarantula in our yard and I liked holding him. His feet felt like Q-Tips walking up and down my arm! On the other hand, I HATE (and am actually afraid of) roaches of any kind! I know some people raise dubia roaches for their chickens.....not me!!! I raise mealworms, but that's as far as I will go!
Woah, do you have pics of the tarantula? That's so cool!

Back
Top Bottom