Who likes to hunt?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by chickenranchwife, Nov 17, 2007.

1. chickenranchwife

chickenranchwife Chillin' With My Peeps

I didn't know where to post this topic, so I thought I would post it here. I was wondering who all likes to hunt deer, elk, phesants, etc....

I got my first elk yesterday. It was a guided hunt through our tribe that we live on. They ask you what you're hunting for and they tell you which one to shoot. I was shooting for meat, so they told me a young cow. If I would have paid $250.00 I could have gotten a bull, and I seen some nice horns.

Last year my son and I went deer hunting and got my first buck. It was exciting. I have been deer hunting for the last 5 years or so, and have always got a really tasty animal.

When season for wild game isn't open I go prairie dog hunting in my pasture, as they are nothing but a pest.

I was raised on a ranch where we killed our meat and butchered it ourselves.

My son who is 14 loves to go with me, along with my daughter who is 8 going on 9. I will post some pics as soon as I get them downloaded.

For all you animal activist, please don't comment!

2. lacyloo

lacyloo Cooped Up

May 26, 2007
    north florida
    I love hunting . Im , hopeing to go huning later today for a buck or doe whitail.. I worry more for the meat and not for horn's , after all we cant eat horns....

3. Standard Hen

Standard Hen Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2007
    Massachusetts
    Good for you! I do not hunt, it was just not something I grew up with but have no problems with people who do.

The only problem I do have is a not experienced overzealous hunter. In my state you are allowed to shoot 500 ft. from a dwelling and in suburbia that can cause problems with bad endings. Every fall it is the usual, horses getting shot in their own pastures, sometimes dogs and even people. There are parts of New England that are perfect for hunting, still very rural and all but the suburbia thing scars me.

Now S.D. is a whole different animal! I loved the state, you live in such a beautiful piece of the country, and hunting is big. Does elk taste like deer? Is it gamier, tougher? I saw a few out there and they were beautiful with huge racks, so beautiful.

I would love to see pictures and I have one question, I hope you don't mind? As a Native American why do you have to pay for permits to hunt on your own land? Or was it the guide you pay? I just thought that would fall under something different.

4. schmoo

schmoo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2007
    West MI.
    I hunt coon and possoms that are after my chickens...does that count [​IMG] kidding.

I really wouldn't mind trying deer hunting one day. I never can because DH is ALWAYS hunting and we have a 9 year old with no one to watch him but me. I think it would be a rush though and I love venison. I would never hunt just for a trophy only for the meat. I would not feel bad AT ALL because around here there are probably 20 deer a day hit by cars risking human life. For everyones sake they need to be thinned out.

Good job on your elk!

5. chickenranchwife

Standard Hen, Just because we are Native American doesn't mean we don't pay to hunt. The tribe where I am from just south of here, we have to pay for a hunting license. It's been awhile since I've eaten elk, but it tastes a lot like beef. It's not gamie tasting at all. All tribal members must pay to hunt, and this was a special deal because they are over stocked on their game, so they opened it up to the public. It would have cost me a lot more if it wasn't open to the public.
    I also like to hunt for the best meat as possible. I look at it as trying to fill my freezer to feed my family.

I will upload more to share.
    Here's a picture of me and my elk yesterday

[​IMG]

Here's one of my daughter and I
    IMG]http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s141/chickenranchwife/100_2659.jpg[/IMG]

Last edited: Nov 17, 2007
  6. PurpleChicken

PurpleChicken Tolerated.....Mostly

Apr 6, 2007
    Iceland
    I love walking through the woods with a gun. [​IMG] Never shot anything though.
    (Not morally opposed to it just haven't had the opportunity)

Congrats on that elk. How do you remove the crop and pluck an elk? [​IMG]

7. JenniferJoIN

JenniferJoIN Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2007
    Southern Indiana
    DB got me hooked on deer meat (and deer jerkey, and deer tenderloin and...) Deer season just opened here today and he got 2 this morning. It definitely helps fill the freezer!

8. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I think in Kansas if you're Native American you don't have to pay for a hunting or fishing license. One of my son's best friends is Native American and he doesn't have pay...at least that's the way it used to be.

9. chickenranchwife

[​IMG]

I'm not sure the other pic in last post is coming up, so thought I'd try it again.

In South Dakota it's a way for the reservations to increase their money.
    The $100.00 was for the elk, and they have their own people that guide.
    The one nice thing was we didn't have to gut it, they did that for us.

Here's one of me and my son after we had it skinned.

[​IMG]

Here's one of me last year with my buck.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 17, 2007
  10. dakinsmimi

dakinsmimi Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2007
    Mississippi
    Glad to see there are other women hunters out there. Congrats on the nice elk. Deer season opened here this AM but I'm at work. Get off at noon and will be out there this afternoon. Can't wait for some fresh venison. Chickenranchwife - have you ever tried bacon wrapped elk on the grill? Wonderful!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by