Who likes to hunt?

dakinsmimi,
My dad has always had elk, so I haven't tried that before but I will give it a whirl. Thanks for the idea. Deer season opened up a couple of weeks ago here, and haven't been out for that yet. Good luck this afternoon.

Thanks chickenranchwife. Even if I don't get anything, just being away from the phone/tv/etc. will be worth the trip. Nothing like sitting out in the woods to get your head screwed back on straight.

Well shoot! (Pun intended!)
roll.png

I've never had venison or any such kind of meat before. Most anything I've eaten has been domesticated in fact!
smile.png

I feel so deprived!!!
hmm.png

I WANT VENISON!!!
wee.gif

~:-V

you are making my mouth water for some wild meat!!!
I was raised on the Alaska Hiway and we always had wild meat when I was a kid, my boys hunt now, in fact I see a buck hanging in the cooler, will have to go get me some.
My Mom hunted moose and deer.
I have only ever shot partridge and gophers!!!
Oh I can just taste that steak;)

How was your dinner?!
big_smile.png

My DH is on his way home from deer camp today. He shot 2 whitetails one button buck and a 4 point. Ahhhh I can taste that tenderloin already. We always eat that first nice and fresh, cooked on the grill. We usually get some jerky and sausage made then my MIL and him grind the rest except for a couple roasts and steaks.

I am wondering how those elk steaks were too!!!! Looks like you will be in venison for a while schmoo and I know what you will b eating tonight.

Antelope,,,what does that taste like?????

I hunt and have done so since I was a small boy,growing up in SE West Virginia. Food on the table...it was better than roadkill stew! Elk is my favorite meat;wonderful flavor and texture. Venison runs a close second. From both, the tenderloins and organ meats are good food;saddles make great stuffed roasts and the rest I use for making sausages. Turkeys,pheasant and bobwhite quail are "fair" game. Here in Florida,I have a "free" lifetime hunting and fishing license. Free only in the sense that I had to receive the Purple Heart,serving in the military,and be 100% service-connected disabled. It's just great the benefits I have bestowed upon me? This license lets me hunt,by reciprocity, in several contiguous Gulf States including Texas,which has bigger deer than Florida.

Several states now require that potential hunters' license holders attend an approved "hunter's safety" course. My suggestion for hunter "newbie" types is to join a rifle and pistol club and or the National Rifle Association(NRA). Yes,the much mis-maligned evil NRA! Still, they're the oldest rifle and pistol association(since 1789,) that has a proven AND successful hunters' safety education programs. Also the NRA adheres to the standards set forth,by Congress,in the Civilian Marksman Program(CMP).
All y'all take care!

Back
Top Bottom