Who likes to hunt?

Wow, nice elk!! I'm also a meat hunter, can't to much with the antlers, and since I also have goats, I have a natural aversion to eating meat that in any way would resemble a stinky "buck". lol!

I'm also in SD, but we are waaaaay east river, about 20 miles south of Sioux Falls. We have a little farm about a mile off the Big Sioux river, so it's normally crawling with whitetails out here. Of course, this year, I totally missed the deadline for tags...I was going to wait to do it online rather than mail the ap in, and totally forgot about it until we were out of town for Labor Day!
th.gif

But, it was the in-laws to the rescue! They also went elk hunting out west. Not sure where, but they said it was public land, and they stayed in Hill City while they were there. They also got a nice cow, two turkeys, a little fork buck and a young doe. They brought the cow all the way back to a processor near us (they live in Chamberlain, but they swear by this guy, so to them, it's worth the trip), and gave us the two deer!! Needless to say, I was one happy camper! They were frozen solid, so hubby and I brought the first deer down into the basement (we might be rednecks!) to thaw enough for me to skin and butcher. I'll get that done today, and then the buck will be brought in tonight, and by this weekend, we'll have a full freezer again!

Hubby and I are originally from southwestern ND, and every year, we go "home" to visit my parents. I always love driving through the western part of the state - beautiful land, not endlessly developed. Last summer when I went home, I had to stop on the highway as a small group of mule deer walked across the road! If that isn't heaven... However, I have to take issue with SD claiming to be the pheasant capital...it never fails that once I cross the ND/SD border going north to Hettinger, I start seeing hundreds in the fields and ditches! Never fails!

But anyway, my FiL keeps telling me I need to get some west river tags. If anything, I'd really like to try for some pronghorn. I'd tag along with my dad and cousin occasionally, and I'll tell ya, there is an ocean of difference between spotting the herd, and actually managing to get close enough for a shot!!
fl.gif
But the meat was the best I've ever tasted, so I definitly think it would be worth the miles on foot!

But anyway, gotta get downstairs and finish up with that doe. In the meantime, here's the button buck I got last year - the first deer I harvested on my farm! I'm posting a link rather than the actual pic, because it's pretty graphic - we drug it back to the morton shed to gut it, and you know how that goes... You can see the shot was a bit forward in the shoulder, but it was a quick end, can't ask for more than that.

My eight year old son Jared killed his first and second deer this season. Of course I have been shut out. I'll try and get some pix on here later.
Monty

My sister-in-law son-in-law came over and shot his 1st deer after skinning it and cutting up what remained he left the rest for the birds.
Only problem was after the animals eat the remains they notices my 12 ducks free ranging and in lest then 4 days all 12 were gone not any feathers just gone. and not one at a time more like 3 or 4.
So becareful of what you attract with your leftovers.
I have a 12 gauge shotgun loaded with BB and just waiting to find out what it was that took all the ducks. I hope they don't try for the chickens.

Hey AprilAWZ,
It's so good to see another South Dakotan' on here. Did you get your deer all unthawed and cut up? I've been there done that also. It has been soo cold this year already. It makes for a long winter, but the snow hasn't been too bad up here. We got some a couple of weeks ago, and a little trace the other day. can't really complain. Thank goodness for relatives huh!

Oh geez, it gets even better... My dh has a friend at work who knew about our "taglessness", so three days after we got the two deer from my inlaws, dh gets a call from his buddy...he just shot a little button buck with us in mind (I like the younger ones...much better meat!), so now we have 3 deer butchered!! I made venison steaks from the little button buck the other day...ah, life is good!!
wee.gif
I don't think I've ever had so much venison in the freezer in my life, and I didn't even pick up my rifle!

The basement butchering was an experience, too. Actually, it was rather nice, although they didn't thaw nearly as quickly as I'd thought they would. But, everytime the furnace kicked in, our dog Emma would high-tail it over to the heat registers...
lau.gif
Good thing she's terrified of the basement stairs!

Our first snow was really something. We got about 4 inches, but then rained and froze. So, we had 1/4 inch of ice on everything, and what looked like a soft blanket of white was more like ice masquerading as snow - an absolute pain the the @#$ to work in!. We got another couple of inches after that (last Saturday), and that behaved normally, so now you can actually make it out to the barn without being tripped up by breaking through ice every other step! Temps haven't been too bad - high teens mostly, but yesterday was pretty cold. It should be warming up to near freezing next week, so that should be nice. I'm just hoping for an early spring this year!

i love going hunting. after going hunting for 5 years..just this last deer season i finally got my first deer!! it was a doe. and then i also got another doe the last weekend of hunting and i gave it to my grandpa so that he could have some meat too.

my grandpa was really proud of me when i got my first deer and then the second and he told me that when we got home and tell my grandma he would never hear the end of it and that he would get picked on because his granddaughter had to get a deer for him. LOL!

Quote:
I ditto that PC, I've had some nice times walking through the woods with a gun or 2. I haven't ever harvested big game, but I have been successful at sage grouse and pine hen hunting and a little bit with duck hunting. Mostly it's a reason to get away and hang out with my friends or cousins.

I too love to hunt. I have taken does with a rifle, this past season I got my first buck, a 4 pt. and it was my first bow kill. What a rush.

The most fun, for me, is squirrel hunting.

My favorite is turkey hunting. Can hardly wait until April. You never know what may come in to answer your call.

I got this fellow while turkey hunting in 2005. He weighed in at 45 pounds. My Dad and Brother have hunted these for years and never gotten one. The look on their faces made it ok that I didn't bring home a turkey.
lol.png

100_0421.jpg

Back
Top Bottom