who prefers bale hay over pine shavings?

I use pine shavings on the coop floor and straw in the nest boxes. I find that the pine shavings are very easy to deal with and clean out. I can turn them over and add a little fresh when it seems to need it. Cleaning time is easy. I shovel it out into a wheelbarrel and dump it. Mine have never eaten the shavings that I've seen. I feel like in my little coop the straw/hay would be messier and harder to observe the droppings (which I do from time to time to make sure all looks normal).

I've seen pine shavings come in two forms - small (almost looks like snow) and large flakes which I currently use with great success. Can't imagine any chicken trying to eat these larger flakes! I've heard of the wood pellets and have considered trying them next time I do a major clean-out of the coop. Wish I could find the website that a guy has who swears by the pellets. If anyone has seen it, please post here! Thanks!

Quote:
That also means that when it is time to clean the coop you are lifting 18x's the weight, doesn't it? That is another reason I don't use straw or hay. It's heavier when it is wet. I've gone through a couple fork handles...

It may work though. You just need to try it once to see if you like it or not.
I use wood pellets for heat, but never for bedding. I may just try a bag some day to see what it does. It just seems expensive to me. A bag of pellets or shavings is XX lbs but the coverage difference is HUGE!

Back
Top Bottom