Who says goat hoove trimming is easy?

Quote:
I must say that is exactly what I do with my larger breeds. I have 1 pygmy so it's impossible to get a knee under her, but for the Nubs and Saanans putting a knee under their leg not only deters them from kicking it really helps stabalize them so they don't feel as though they're going to fall.

Sometimes for the front legs I'll use my shoulder and bicep to hold up the leg - I'll grab the hoof from the inside and prop their leg up with my arm and cut with the other hand.

This is what I did on all of them pretty much. I just did what was most comfortable to me. I had their back legs hang over my knee and the front well some on my knee but extended my leg out so it was not as high. I was on a stool because of the time length involved. The buck did not seem to be able to keep his front legs up for very long so he sent to the ground on his knees and I had to cut like that some of the time
roll.png

Quote:
A small pair of pruning shears....the blades on them are like 3 inches long. Some are really sharp so be careful.

Quote:
A small pair of pruning shears....the blades on them are like 3 inches long. Some are really sharp so be careful.

That's what I use to trim my goats hooves...it gets the job done
thumbsup.gif

Quote:
Where can I get blue kote from?

If I had my choice I would use copper tox for thrush and rot as such. People us it on horses hooves mostly. I just happened to have the blue kote on hand so I used that which is fine to but make sure you get the kind that says fungal and bacterial. Several different types of blue kote and like. You can get both blue kote and copper tox at your local feed store and probably jeffers on line.

You could also ask at your feed store for a solution they may have (there is a lot of choices out there)....to soak the hooves in that will clean and kill fungus/bacteria but will also make the hoove softer to make trimming it easier.

I trimmed two yearling tonight who have been tied alot since they were young and they stood like statues and the feet lifted like a dream no kicking or screaming Much better than my 3 yr olds who I bought as yearling who never had the been tied or hoofs trimmed.

Quote:

Thanks.

I bought this on yesterday for this weekend's trimming.
hmm.png

6612_bought_sheers.jpg

Back
Top Bottom