Who sells eggs with poo on them?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Chicken411, May 14, 2010.

1. Chicken411

Chicken411 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 11, 2010
    Mountain West
    So I started buying my eggs from a local gal and I am very happy with my eggs. They are large, multi-colored, orange, free range, and flavorful; the only problem? She doesn't wash the eggs off before she puts them in the carton. I have just been washing them as I use them, but today there was an egg with a large chicken turd on it. Gross! How many of you who sell eggs would sell one with a poop on it? Just wondering if this is normal for free ranging, local egg purchasing or if my provider is a little "eggcentric." (Ha ha, I'm so punny [​IMG])

2. Kansaseq

Kansaseq Prairie Wolf Farm Asylum

Feb 12, 2009
    NE Kansas
    I don't wash my eggs unless they are dirty, however, I would not sell an egg with obvious poop on it. Maybe she was in a hurry and didn't see it.

3. cletus the rooster

cletus the rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

i do but not large turds.just specks or small smears.inform customers to wipe with a damp paper towel right before use.

4. Kismet

Kismet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2008
    New Hampshire, USA
    I keep my nesting boxes pretty clean, so I rarely have poop on the eggs. But when I do, I rub it off with a dry sponge, the kind with a rough part for your pots and pans. I sell my eggs to city folk, some of whom get grossed out by natural events. It's a matter of education for me - I've collected some "egg facts" to print on my label, one of which is about an egg's bloom. The really badly pooped-on eggs that I can't clean up, I use myself.

5. halo

halo Got The Blues

Nov 22, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I wash all the eggs I sell for eating. I can't imagine selling eating eggs with even a speck of dirt on them.

6. riftnreef

riftnreef Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2009
    Mechanicsburg, Ohio
    Well I don't sell my eggs, but I share with neighbors, friends, family, and coworkers. I do not wash my eggs but I explain to them that if they see some dirt or a little poo on the egg that it's there for a reason. Once I explain why I don't wash the eggs no one seems to have any problem with it, and I do advise them to rinse them before use if they are a little dirty. I guess if I were selling, I would probably wash them right before sale, especially if I were selling to an urban market, or if the eggs were particularly dirty...just my thoughts.

7. MissCluck

MissCluck Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:I do the same as above.

Mine are usually clean anyway but sometimes if we've had a rain the eggs get a bit "mucky" from the girls' feetsas.

8. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
    Some folks wash, some folks don't. It's mostly a matter of personal preference and a given seller's customer base.

I wash all of my eggs first because I don't want manure in my refrigerator and secondly because most of my customers have never kept chickens and don't know the first thing about raising them. But they have been buying eggs for years and want them clean. The customer is always right if you want them to continue being customers.

9. Foleys

Foleys Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2010
    Toccoa
    I would NEVER!! buy or want egss or sell eggs with poop on them!!!thats just gross.

10. MuranoFarms

MuranoFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2009
    Boyers, Pa
    Only if you're gonna hatch them! (even then I try to scrape the poo off with a fingernail) If they're for eating, then yes they get washed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by