Who sells eggs with poo on them?

Is bloom the thin layer that can be scrubbed off?

I hated washing eggs growin up cause our dad who knew nothing about chickens would make us scrub the eggs until that film came off.

i usually just sell to friends and family i usualy dont clean becouse i usually eat most my eggs myself and i know none of that is getting inside of the egg i do have some eggwasher stuff and clean a few ive never had like clumps of poop on the eggs but i do have a few hens that lay soft eggs or eat the eggs so i do get yukky eggs with like old hay and dirt on them

I always wash the egg because there are many disease in chicken poo.
Once I saw someone selling goose eggs that were COVERED (they were brown) with poo it was so disgusting.

Clean eggs only for my customers. Dirty eggs get washed off and are mine. If it is really dirty or cracked, the dog gets them
ya.gif

Dirty eggs usually mean that I have to take a little better care inside the coop, mainly giving the litter a stir.

Since reading on here about the natural bloom on eggs I don't wash mine.
I will wipe with a dry paper towel to get off the bits of shavings from the nestboxes that sometime stick to the shells.

When it is muddy here I will wipe off the muddy footprints with a damp paper towel.
I'm more worried about the germs in mud than any teeny bit of poop left on an egg.
Actually I can't say I've ever noticed any poop on the eggs.

If I'm giving the eggs away I try to make them as presentable as possible.
I don't mind a bit of shavings or a footprint, but I don't expect others to feel the same.

I'm afraid of washing off the bloom and therefore selling someone a bad egg...
I just spot wipe any dirt off with a damp papertowel...

I wash eggs for my friends because they smell like chicken poop even if there isn't any poop on them. My son smelled one and said "eww, it smells like poop!"...and so I gave it a wiff...sure enough...it smelled like poop. So, I wash the eggs for my friends, and wash mine right before I am about to crack them open.

Before they go into the fridge, they are washed. (period)

And I scrape off any and everything I can before the even come into the house.

Last edited:
oooh, I've never heard of bloom. I've been scrubbing mine like crazy before putting in the fridge and selling. I thought egg shells were permeable and it would be bad to have poo bits and dirt seep into the egg.

No?

I shouldn't be washing? or at least I shouldn't be scrubbing?

Can someone please explain bloom in more detail?

Back
Top Bottom