Who shows dogs?

I have Labradors,

That's a tough breed to hang with. How many dogs/grump does it take to make points in your division? I know labs are worse than danes and danes are 14/18 here in Tx...

It is.. currently in Div 5, you need 18 boys/22 girls for a 3 point, and 30 boys and 40 girls for a 4 point..
The biggest problem is now finding the majors because show that ALWAYS have had them in the past are now not pulling the numbers. I have one girl at 6 points and holding.​

Quote:
YES!!! Hooray!!
yippiechickie.gif
yippiechickie.gif
yippiechickie.gif

I'll be going to the Siberian Husky National Specialty the end of next month and I'll be showing her in Breed for her owner. I'm also taking two of my other dogs to show in Open and Bred-By and my DH and I will have entries in Rally! It's the first time we're showing in Rally-O. We've both put Obedience Titles on dogs (7 total in the U.S. and Canada) but haven't worked in obedience in a very long time (My last obedience titlist is now 14 1/2 years old!!!). Wish us luck!!!

Quote:
YES!!! Hooray!!
yippiechickie.gif
yippiechickie.gif
yippiechickie.gif

I'll be going to the Siberian Husky National Specialty the end of next month and I'll be showing her in Breed for her owner. I'm also taking two of my other dogs to show in Open and Bred-By and my DH and I will have entries in Rally! It's the first time we're showing in Rally-O. We've both put Obedience Titles on dogs (7 total in the U.S. and Canada) but haven't worked in obedience in a very long time (My last obedience titlist is now 14 1/2 years old!!!). Wish us luck!!!

I wish you luck at your Nationals! Let us know how you did.

Quote:
If you know any handlers, they'd probably be tickled to give you some of their used leads and things in exchange for assistance with grooming and ringside at shows. What you're talking about shouldn't cost more than a few dollars, and most handlers probably have a dozen of them in their tack box.

I don't think you'll have much luck selling something used that can be purchased new for three or four bucks.

Quote:
Good gosh, but I love pointers. LOVE them. We actually had an amazing show pup from a BIS-winning sire and specialty-winning dam, with plenty of working titles in his pedigree, and it broke our hearts when our allergies wouldn't tolerate keeping him. That dog was GORGEOUS, and the sweetest darn thing you ever saw in your life. He was about 1/4 as smart as the poodles, and they abused him terribly, playing tricks on him all the time, but he was just SO HAPPY, he didn't care! There's a lot to be said for that. If we'd kept him, he would have had to live outside, and he was just such a social, wonderful dog, we couldn't do that to him. The breeder, a professional handler, had NO trouble re-homing him, and I believe he went on to finish his championship in short order. I hope his new owners hunt over him, too, because he wanted nothing more than to please everyone, and would've done anything.

Quote:
It does, yes! Our pup was linebred on that ubiquitous (and possibly too influential in the breed, I realize) family of baseball-named pointers. Ours was "Roger" after Roger Maris, even.
tongue.png

"Obedient" doesn't even seem descriptive enough, does it? They seem to just want to please on a nearly pathological level, and to get SO much joy out of doing what you want. I still get choked up thinking about Roger. We really thought, somehow, that a short-haired breed would be OK for us, and it killed us when we couldn't make it work. My husband, especially, couldn't even pet the dog without an immediate reaction, and he was the one handling/showing him and would have been the one hunting over him.
sad.png

It was also really refreshing for us to experience a different "kind" of canine intelligence. Roger might not have had the problem-solving or predicting capabilities of our other dogs, but it was neat watching his mind work, and learning how to utilize that working, practical intelligence. I miss him.

Back
Top Bottom