Who will win the Derby today?

Quote:
He also went right into the horse ambulance without hesitation.

I saw the horse going into the ambulance, but didn't realize what had happened (went outside when the race was over). That's so sad.
Lisa

He is fine, it is a small fracture that didn't render him lame. He will make a full recovery.

Quote:
I always wondered WHY.. if a horse breaks a leg they have to put them down?? Why??

Quote:
I always wondered WHY.. if a horse breaks a leg they have to put them down?? Why??

A lot of times if a horse breaks a leg, they will be unable to stand. From what I've learned about horses, they can't lay down for too long or they suffocate or something like that. I could be wrong about that. So, you can put them in a sling and monitor them around the clock, but that doesn't mean that they will ever heal. In the past, there was very little you could do for a horse with a broken leg. Nowadays, there are new treatments and euthanizing a horse with a broken leg is less common.

ETA: There was a famous racehorse not too long ago that had a bad fracture on one of his hind legs. They tried to save him and he did live a long time after the initial injury, but in the end he died. They couldn't even breed or store his semen because he needed to be able to put weight on his hind legs to do that. So sad.

Last edited:
Quote:

A lot of times if a horse breaks a leg, they will be unable to stand. From what I've learned about horses, they can't lay down for too long or they suffocate or something like that. I could be wrong about that. So, you can put them in a sling and monitor them around the clock, but that doesn't mean that they will ever heal. In the past, there was very little you could do for a horse with a broken leg. Nowadays, there are new treatments and euthanizing a horse with a broken leg is less common.

ETA: There was a famous racehorse not too long ago that had a bad fracture on one of his hind legs. They tried to save him and he did live a long time after the initial injury, but in the end he died. They couldn't even breed or store his semen because he needed to be able to put weight on his hind legs to do that. So sad.

sad.png
That is sad..

They can't stand to keep their weight unevenly on their legs for very long. They get inflammations in their feet and other complications from that uneven weight distibution. And the inflammations in their feet (called laminitis) can be extremely painful and ruin the foot. If I remember right, that is what happened to the racehorse you're referring to, that they tried to treat.
That is why they sometimes put them down.

That is very good news that AAA will make a full recovery.
thumbsup.gif
He's a pretty horse with a lot of heart. Let's hope the news stays that way and he doesn't develop complications, he will make a good stud, I'm sure. .

Quote:
I know.. those horses give all their heart...

Barbaro, yeah! I couldn't remember his name, either. He certainly became famous for a while, though. It was a sad story. Remember Eight Belles? That was another heartbreaking story.
sad.png

Quote:
Thanks! I wasn't sure about the reason why. Someone did tell me that they can't lay down all the time and recover. I was told that they couldn't breathe, but I've heard a lot of other reasons as to why such as getting sores, poor circulation, etc.

the ones i wanted to win was the horse/jockey from my state (LA) the female jockey the underdog-like always-and Pants On Fire just for the names but i missed half of the dery because something happen to the T.V
tongue.gif

Back
Top Bottom