Whole flock dead!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by secuono, Apr 26, 2011.

1. secuono

secuono Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2010
    Virginia
    I just found out that something killed and ate over 50 of my birds...There's a hole under one fence going out, 1 decapitated rooster, 1 dead rooster, 50+ just bloody missing!
    I'm beyond angry. Going from 80 chickens free ranging to 12 still alive and now sealed shut in the coop until I can deal with this is just omg!
    9 ducks, free. Might be giving away the rest of my chickens shortly...

Last edited: Apr 26, 2011
  2. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    Horrifying....sorry they were killed.

3. Hot2Pot

Hot2Pot Fox Hollow Rabbitry

Feb 1, 2010
    West TN
    Must be a pack of coyotes , what else could take so many? I am so sorry for your loss. Hope you get the culprits.

4. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

That is so terrible. [​IMG] Hope you find a way to keep them out, and your chickens safe. [​IMG]

5. schellie69

schellie69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2009
    Kansas
    So sorry for your loss, I hope that you can find some of the missing. I would think 50 missing seems a lot for a predator to take at once.

6. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    It must be one hungry family! Ft Knox your coop and hopefully you won't be losing much thereafter! [​IMG]

7. secuono

secuono Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2010
    Virginia
    Chain link around, top is metal 2x3in wire. No idea how they got in or even got them out other than squeezing through a gap somewhere...
    I couldn't find any. Guess I can look again tomorrow after work...I don't need this stress right now..

8. white01

white01 Brady Brook Poultry

May 11, 2010
    West Enfield,Maine
    Quote:this is also what i am thinking, wow though thats is so horrible [​IMG]

9. geebs

geebs Lovin' the Lowriders!

Sep 28, 2008
    Look around under bushes...It is likely that some escaped and are hiding... I agree with the Coyote thing... No bodies... they are hiding... Keep looking and listen in the morning for the rooster.

10. cackydoodledoo

cackydoodledoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 7, 2011
    Crazyville, USA
    So sorry! [​IMG] I do agree with the others and I would take a closer look and see if they aren't hiding. It would take a huge pack of coyotes to take that many birds and I haven't seen coyotes run in packs that big before. I sure hope you find them all well and safe other than a huge scare!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by