Who's Ready For Fall?RAIN NEEDED AND COOLER TEMPS NEEDER[REWARD OFFER

It's already 84 degrees at 7;30 in the morning.So oboy another blanking day of intense heat and humity
hide.gif

I've been preparing our garden for the fall planting. I've pulled out all of the tomatoe vines, pepper stalks, corn, etc. leaving only the okra and sweet potatoes in the ground. I love the fall gardening season better than the spring. I think it's more productive and we get better vegetables too. Also it's less work because there's not as much weeding to do. I've bought 4 new tomatoe plants that'll be going in the ground in a week or so once this heat lets up a little bit. I'm betting they'll mature before the first frost hits in late October or early November. This weekend we're going to replant the corn and put in some fall beans too. Romaine lettuce, kale, collards, turnips, etc. will be going in next month. Last fall we planted collards and we took the final batch out in early February when I was preparing the garden for the spring planting. My thinking is that with fall gardening you're growing out of the heat and into the cool. You're also growing out of the bugs too since most have past their egg laying and larva stages, etc. No Japanese Beetles, etc. We use less water and there's less weeds too. Most everything we do is in raised beds as you can see below. This pic was from this past spring. We do grow corn and okra on tilled ground but most things are in the boxes. There's actually about 10 more 4'X4'X8" boxes in the bare areas of the garden not shown in the pic. I do have another bed out behind the chicken coop & run where I planted 3 rows of yellow field corn for the Gals. They've been getting a few ears all summer long each evening as I sit out with them and watch 'Chicken TV'...
smile.png

865790939_LwNk5-M.jpg

Your garden looks so good.I love the set-up.I am so glad that you will be able.NO RAIN here so everything is slowing dyeing.We planted 400 pumpkins and i think all is a loss
hide.gif

I am soooooo ready for fall. It's my favorite time of year! Harvest time, mums, outdoor festivals, beautiful fall colors on the trees, and cooler days and evenings! I CAN'T WAIT!
ya.gif

Back
Top Bottom