Who's that Poke-! erm quail. what kinda quail do you think this is?

yes, while I feel how i asked works I can see how not being super specific could be confusing here sorry about that. I was mostly just messing with the pokemon joke lol
The Pokemon part went right over my head. 🤣

Sex link brown is just a gene that expresses a rusty collar on the birds right? to ensure the sex link at birth dont they have to be bred a certain way? am i just looking too far into those rusty collars?
Sex links are where the chicks are two different colours. Here's an image that will help.
1691680990697.jpeg

Sex links are where the chicks are two different colours. Here's an image that will help.
View attachment 3605071
(please read this as curious and not authoritative, i am not 100% sure how to word in so please take a red pen and correct what I say)
-
So to my understanding it can be on a lot of different colors phase but to get a traditional sex linkable batch they have to be bred a certain way. I think the confusion is coming because sex link is in the gene name but its just an allele that presents rusty coloration on the neck. otherwise how could you know the gene is present?

(please read this as curious and not authoritative, i am not 100% sure how to word in so please take a red pen and correct what I say)
-
So to my understanding it can be on a lot of different colors phase but to get a traditional sex linkable batch they have to be bred a certain way. I think the confusion is coming because sex link is in the gene name but its just an allele that presents rusty coloration on the neck. otherwise how could you know the gene is present?
You are correct in that they need to be bred a certain way to get the sex link. I can't remember off the top of my head which gender has to be which colour to get the sex links, though.

The Roux (red) gene is what you need to make sex link chicks. Roux Gene Egyptian Rooster over Brown Pharoh Hen gives sex linked chicks and they hatch just the opposite, so the red chicks are females and brown are males.. sexable at hatch. To get the red roux gene breed scarlet rooster over pharoh hen.. that will give you the Egyptian, breed the Egyptian Rooster over Brown Hens.. that gives sex linked chicks..

Back
Top Bottom