Why All The "Junk"?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My chickens and I are completely happy with our "blight on the community."
thumbsup.gif

I think it all comes down to whether you have "more time than money" or "more money than time"
wink.png

I made my coop out of new OSB, recycled 2x4's, pallets for the floor and an old truck cap that my friends were going to throw away! Total cost was 15.00. The roosts are scrap 2x4's and pine branches.

Quote:
Everyone is welcome to their opinion. Mine is that I have too much consideration for my neighbors, too much pride in the appearance of my property, and too much respect for the reputation of my hobby to allow an eyesore to represent it to the public.

Quote:
Everyone is welcome to their opinion. Mine is that I have too much consideration for my neighbors, too much pride in the appearance of my property, and too much respect for the reputation of my hobby to allow an eyesore to represent it to the public.

Sarcasm...
wink.png
Ours is not a blight.

I too am very pleased with what I have constructed. I guess I am happy that my nearest neighbor is more than an acre away! Maybe the free eggs now and then keeps them from saying anything.

I am sure that your coop is lovely and that your neighbors appreciate you for it.

edited for spelling.

Last edited:
Quote:

You about summed up why people took such offense to the post. I believe most of us do consider the feelings of others, and have pride in our hobby, but its not always practical and sometimes completely impossible to live up to the standards of everyone. Perhaps you are only considerate about the feelings of those who live according to your standards. The topic kind of reminds me of asking someone why they joke or laugh about being fat or ugly. Think about it. Have a nice day.

Quote:
I am not a thrifty person. I wish I was, but I am not. <*sigh*> I totally admire innovative coops created from recycled materials. I built my first two coops from new material, but frankly, they look like a girl (albeit an old, "fluffy" one) built 'em. My third coop was commissioned, my fourth coop was a transmorgrified plastic playhouse, and the other coops were either purchased as kits (for grow-out coops) or constructed by someone who knew what he was doing - with newly purchased materials.

I have little patience so gathering materials just to have to work with them and build isn't an option for me. Instant gratification, yup, that's me. I DO look at free pallets, and free doors, and cheap windows and all that, but I get too crazy trying to see a whole coop from 'em. I admire folks who DO built with those materials!

My contractor has transmorgrified a dilapidated old, three-walled garage into a secure and four sided coop, with auto-door, two huge ladder roosts, two water faucets and a continuously fresh water fount, but the exterior 3 walls are old asbestos siding. The front wall he built is fantastic, with a double (Dutch) people door, security light outside, and that wall is going to hold up that old used-to-be a garage for many years.

I get lots of ideas from the recycled coops and the fancy new stuff coops. I don't think I've ever seen any coop displayed here on BYC as bad as some of the real life coops I have seen in my travels. (Or, next door, for that matter.)

Pride in construction, innovation in reuse of materials, and security for the chooks. All good jobs!

Stephanie I agree with you.If people would offer good help instead of critism about what someone has it would be alot better.I say that you can build good with salvage and you can build junk with good.Not all salvage is ugly and not all new is pretty.I do with what I have and I'm proud of it.It may take awhile to get it where I want It but When it is done it will suit me and the neighborhood.I'm first neighbors second,
cool.png
thumbsup.gif

I am the guy who started this thread.

I am totally stunned by the comments. But I think I now see where the confusion came from. When I asked about "junk" I was not talking about the coops themselves. I was not calling anybody's coop "junk". I was asking about the materials used in construction. It seemed that so many people were celebrating their "finds" of old windows from re-construction projects, parts from family farms and historic little buildings that there seemed to be a special pride in this method. I am a historian and was curious if there was something I had missed

Look at my page on building our coop and you will see the old coop we salvaged to use in our new one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom