Why are duck eggs making my husband sick?

I am new to raising ducks, although we raised chickens when I was a kid and we currently have 7. We bought 3 Cayuga ducklings along with the 7 chickens in April. They came from a large local breeder, although not so large as to be national or to mail chicks out. I have no knowledge or expectation that the birds got any vaccinations. They are healthy and happy ducks, free ranging during the day and safely tucked into their 4 x 4 coop at night.

The problem is that my husband had heard so much about how great ducks eggs taste and he made himself a 4 duck egg omelet from them. We kept the eggs unwashed during the week until we washed them with a very mild bleach solution since they were dirty and we didn't want to take any chances. He cooked them thoroughly since we have heard all of the warnings about Salmonella. He didn't feel so well after that first omelet,but wasn't sure what to attribute it to.

About a week and a half to 2 weeks later he ate another duck egg omelet. Again, he says it was cooked thoroughly, but this time he got a VERY upset stomach. The next day he didn't eat much of anything. On day 3 he had lots of cramping and then rushing to the bathroom, but no vomiting. So now we have ducks laying 3 eggs a day and no one will eat them because we are afraid that there is something wrong with the eggs. I can't understand how that could be since we use the same process with our chicken eggs and we have zero problems and we have eaten dozens of them. And I thought cooking the eggs thoroughly would kill any Salmonella or other diseases, if they even had it. The chickens and ducks have their own separate coops, but they free range in the same 2.5 acre yard during the day.

Any ideas of what is going on? I hate to throw all of the eggs away, but I don't want to make any one else sick. Is it possible that he has a sensitivity to duck eggs but not chicken eggs? Or do we just have bad eggs?
There are some different proteins in poultry eggs. My hub can eat any eggs. My mom and i only chicken; i think i have had quail eggs and liked them.
I often wonder if ppl in countries like the US who have issues with chicken eggs could eat duck eggs? But since duck eggs aren't in stores ppl never try.

Some info
'Allergy to eggs from duck and goose without sensitization to hen egg proteins'
https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/10756237/

Last edited:
I am new to raising ducks, although we raised chickens when I was a kid and we currently have 7. We bought 3 Cayuga ducklings along with the 7 chickens in April. They came from a large local breeder, although not so large as to be national or to mail chicks out. I have no knowledge or expectation that the birds got any vaccinations. They are healthy and happy ducks, free ranging during the day and safely tucked into their 4 x 4 coop at night.

The problem is that my husband had heard so much about how great ducks eggs taste and he made himself a 4 duck egg omelet from them. We kept the eggs unwashed during the week until we washed them with a very mild bleach solution since they were dirty and we didn't want to take any chances. He cooked them thoroughly since we have heard all of the warnings about Salmonella. He didn't feel so well after that first omelet,but wasn't sure what to attribute it to.

About a week and a half to 2 weeks later he ate another duck egg omelet. Again, he says it was cooked thoroughly, but this time he got a VERY upset stomach. The next day he didn't eat much of anything. On day 3 he had lots of cramping and then rushing to the bathroom, but no vomiting. So now we have ducks laying 3 eggs a day and no one will eat them because we are afraid that there is something wrong with the eggs. I can't understand how that could be since we use the same process with our chicken eggs and we have zero problems and we have eaten dozens of them. And I thought cooking the eggs thoroughly would kill any Salmonella or other diseases, if they even had it. The chickens and ducks have their own separate coops, but they free range in the same 2.5 acre yard during the day.

Any ideas of what is going on? I hate to throw all of the eggs away, but I don't want to make any one else sick. Is it possible that he has a sensitivity to duck eggs but not chicken eggs? Or do we just have bad eggs?
My husband has an intolerance to duck eggs and has stomach issues if he eats them. Has something to do with a protein in the duck eggs that is different than chicken eggs, so he can eat chicken eggs without any trouble. My kids and I have no issues with duck eggs. Doesn't sound like it has anything to do with how you stored them or cooked them. The rest of you should try them, at least a few bites. You may not have any issues at all.

I made duck eggs for my Son who is an adult that lives with us. He had stomach aches the first time and the second time was really sick. He can eat chicken eggs just fine but has an allergy to the duck eggs. I love duck eggs and fry myself two every day for breakfast so mine don't go to waste. I also have friends I have given them to. I hope this helps with your situation.

he ate 4 eggs? wasn't that too much? also washing eggs in bleach is not a good idea as someone mentioned.

I had a milk intolerance as a kid. I started drinking 1/4 of cup, than 1/2 etc. till my stomach was able to digest it. maybe your husband can start with 1/2 eg in 2-3 days. I guess such a small amount will do no harm.
Washing the eggs in a weak bleach solution is recommended by Colorado State University Extension, which is linked to the CDC website. Here are the posted directions from the website:

Cleaning Eggs​

Dirty eggs can be a health hazard. Clean eggs promptly after collection. This limits the opportunity for contamination and loss of quality.
  • Never cool eggs rapidly before cleaning. As the shell contracts while cooling, bacteria or soil on the surface could be pulled into the pores.
  • Eggs with soil or debris can be cleaned with fine sandpaper, a brush, or emery cloth.
  • If eggs need to be washed, the temperature of the water should be no less than 110F and no more than 120F to prevent the egg contents from contracting and producing a vacuum.
  • Never soak or leave eggs in standing water as their shells are very porous.
  • An unscented dishwashing liquid can be used to wash eggs.

Sanitizing Eggs​

• Eggs can be sanitized before storing by dipping in a solution of 100-200 parts per million of chlorine bleach (1 ounce of bleach added to 1 gallon of water equals 200 ppm).
  • It is preferable to use bleach labeled for use on eggs. Dry eggs before storing because moisture may enter the pores in the shell as eggs cool upon refrigeration.

I can't stress enough about biosecurity: dedicated shoes/boots, gloves, clothes left outside your home (leave in the garage), then machine washing weekly. Hand washing before/after entering coop/run areas immediately when entering your home. Don't put your hands to your face. Don't snuggle or kiss birds. Don't drop eggs into your clothes pockets, then take out and place on your counter. #1, don't put ANYTHING on a food counter if you had it in your bird area. You MUST sanitize/disinfect surfaces that come in contact with bird stuff. I know, I learned the hard way after 28 hours of "sitting" in the bathroom, and holding the garbage pail to my face. Could have been Salmonella. We had a sick chicken but don't know which one still has the runny poop. Husband has it now and he's been thoroughly cooking the eggs.

Back
Top Bottom