Why are my chickens dying??

Yestempurw is at the hottom and fod and water on the cooler side and it is chick strater and they have sugar water too. Well good night and happy easter

Happy Easter to you too.
I hope your chicks get better. Please take the time to check and make sure they are not overheating.
Give them cool fresh water frequently and see that they are eating well.

I bought 8 from TSC, golden comets, from the feathers on their wings, I will have to guess that they were a week maybe a little more old, I lost two of them.. fine in the morning, passed by the early evening. I took them back, was told that the batch of chicks I had bought from had been left sitting in the post office all day, as the post office had failed to call. They replaced them and then I had 5 of the 8 that had pasty butt. Spent 3 days washing their tails but they are doing fine now..

First priority. Remove “sick looking” to their own box just in case you are at very stages of cocci. Electrolytes in water. Can’t tell if medicated feed. Not holding wings out so not hot and separated so not cold. Could they be exhausted from too much attention? I ask because most chicks die Easter weekend from too much attention. Most dont know. This is still a really fragile age. I don’t pick up my chicks unless we absolutely have to because immune system still coming together. Their lid is covered unless we are cleaning bucket or changing food and water which is twice a day. If everyones belly button scab is gone, pasty butt not much of a concern but that can be seen without picking up. Handling wears them out. They are cold because they are hanging near heat. I wet their food a small amount not soaking wet more like a crumbles that are wet enough to soak up smaller dust. The slight differences in temp could be chilling them as well. Try letting them alone and rest. I will tell you, a chicken can die if you look at it and if these chicks are dying they will. Hands off first two weeks is good. Good luck and I pray the rest do well. Those in pic don’t look so much sick but exhausted. They are so pretty. Lets hope for the best. Don’t forget probiotics and dont overload on extra vitamins right now.

Helloworld, I didn't think to mention overhandling them, because I don't. I not only have the tote they're in, but a clean one too. Once a day, I slide the soiled one from under the heat lamp, then slide the clean one, all set up and ready to go, under the heat lamp. Then I put the chicks in the clean one. It just takes me a couple minutes, with a minimum of disturbance to the chicks. This works just fine for the first week, until they're more stable. Even if you did it twice a day, just holding them long enough to transfer them into the clean tote, it's a minimum of disturbance to them.

Back
Top Bottom