Why Are My Chickens Losing Feathers?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chickenlady2017, Mar 14, 2018.

Tags:
  1. chickenlady2017

chickenlady2017 In the Brooder

Nov 9, 2017
    Hi there - new to chickens here - :)
    About 4 of my 9 hens are all missing feathers on their backs right before their tails - you can sort of see in this terrible photo...
    We thought they were just moulting but the feathers don't seem to be growing back.
    Then we thought the rooster is pulling them out - when he jumps them that's where his feet are...
    But after googling I saw that sometimes missing back feathers could be mites?
    Any help would be really appreciated!!
    PS don't mins this make shift fence tunnel - it's a run to a bigger area for them.
    Screenshot 2018-03-14 at 7.04.34 PM.png

ButtonquailGirl14 likes this.
  2. ButtonquailGirl14

ButtonquailGirl14 Crossing the Road

Jul 13, 2017
    Northport WA
    over-breeding, molting or feather picking.... it looks like over-breeding to me. how many hens per roo?

chickenlady2017 likes this.
  3. Holly01

Holly01 In the Brooder

Mar 6, 2018
    Our old hens were over mated and lost feathers on their backs. You can make or buy an apron/saddle to protect their backs until new feathers grow back. It worked for our hens.

4. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    You are spot on about the rooster. Remove him from the flock and see if the feathers return. Some people put hen saddles on their birds to protect them from the rooster. Some people apply a Blu Kote to the area to keep other chickens from pecking the area.

[​IMG][​IMG]

5. chickenlady2017

chickenlady2017 In the Brooder

Nov 9, 2017
    I have 9 hens and 1 roo - but I guess since we don't let them roam free in the winter the roo has more opportunity... thanks!

ButtonquailGirl14 likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: