why are my chickens not laying eggs

It’s not the temperature, it’s the daylight that affects laying. When daylight increases again, they will or should start laying. (Unless there are other underlying issues)
A chicken that is too cold or too hot will most likely not want to lay, as well as if the daylight is shorter. I myself would not want to use my reserved energy to lay an egg in extreme temperatures.

ill get those to you when i get home
If they are in the coop, no worries. Just basically saying that's where they should be.
I have a makeshift run that I rushed to get up for growouts I kept separate from the roos that has no coop in it. So I have a portable nest box I put in there when needed. That would my only thought why not to have them in their coop.

Nice the nesting boxes are against the back wall of the coop. they only go in the coop at sunset and they go out hour after sunrise so do they not have enough of time or no also we have a cockerel and he sleeps in it isthat a problem for him or the egggs or is it fine if its not any ideas how to fix it
If they are in the coop, no worries. Just basically saying that's where they should be.
I have a makeshift run that I rushed to get up for growouts I kept separate from the roos that has no coop in it. So I have a portable nest box I put in there when needed. That would my only thought why not to have them in their coop.

also we have a cockerel and he sleeps in it isthat a problem for him or the egggs or is it fine if its not any ideas how to fix it
He shouldn't be sleeping in the nests. If no one is laying yet block off the nests for a few days to force him to not go in there.

Also some current photos of your flock would help, if the pullets aren't red at all then they're not matured enough to lay. As multiple people have pointed out, it's lack of daylight to stimulate laying that's the issue, not the nest location or the cockerel sleeping in it.

He shouldn't be sleeping in the nests. If no one is laying yet block off the nests for a few days to force him to not go in there.

Also some current photos of your flock would help, if the pullets aren't red at all then they're not matured enough to lay. As multiple people have pointed out, it's lack of daylight to stimulate laying that's the issue, not the nest location or the cockerel sleeping in it.
no they are decently red there 8 months old so they are ready but im gonna try to block off the nesting bow thanks for the feed back the rooster doesent sleep on the ormal height roosting bar should i make one lower we have two at diffrent heights but there like 4 feet and 6 feet above the floor should i make one like to feet like the nesting boxes

no they are decently red there 8 months old so they are ready but im gonna try to block off the nesting bow thanks for the feed back the rooster doesent sleep on the ormal height roosting bar should i make one lower we have two at diffrent heights but there like 4 feet and 6 feet above the floor should i make one like to feet like the nesting boxes
What breed is the cockerel? Most chickens can make it onto a 4' roost just fine but heavier birds or birds with special feathering might struggle, so having a low roost (like just above the height of the nest box) would help him if it's hard for him to get higher.

Blocking off nests is pretty easy, something as simple as cardboard across the front will do in most cases, or putting in a gallon jug inside it so the birds can't squeeze in.

th
What breed is the cockerel? Most chickens can make it onto a 4' roost just fine but heavier birds or birds with special feathering might struggle, so having a low roost (like just above the height of the nest box) would help him if it's hard for him to get higher.

Blocking off nests is pretty easy, something as simple as cardboard across the front will do in most cases, or putting in a gallon jug inside it so the birds can't squeeze in.
thanks I think ur right the breed is a... light brahma so like alread 6?pounds

Back
Top Bottom