Why are my friends chickens falling over and dying?

A necropsy would be indicated with repeated losses. Mareks is the most likely explanation, especially with one-sided paralysis. Things like aflatoxin (mold) poisoning, botulism, lead or chemical poisoning tend to cause general paralysis of both sides. Botulism starts in feet and legs, progressing upwards in the spinal nerves, and the whole body is quickly paralyzed over 12-24 hours ending in death. Dehydration or coccidiosis can cause lameness or wing droop that may look like paralysis. The owner needs to get a necropsy that includes Mareks testing, but I would also look at feed, water and waterlines, and have a look around the ranging area for plants or other things that could affect them. Egg shells may be affected by viruses such as infectious bronchitis. Mareks can cause a poor immunity to common illnesses, so they can be affected by everything in the environment.

@venymae I'm sorry to hear about your friend's chickens. I can only assume your friend is located in Kansas. It really is a good idea to have some testing performed to find the cause. Here is your state lab information:

Kansas State Veterinary Diagnostic Lab http://www.ksvdl.org/
Client Services at (785) 532-5650, toll free at 1-866-512-5650

Thanks for the replies everyone! I have a bit more input from my BFF:

"Chickens have no respiratory distress symptoms, just beak gap. No gargling, no heavy breathing. Like they hold their mouth open funny, but not cocked back. Their crops are full at night and empty in morning. They are empty all the time the day or two before death, but it is because they don't leave the barn at that time. The partial paralysis has not been as prevalent with the last two deaths. We speculate it's a genetic variant, but don't know."

She has given them extra calcium and probiotics. No response. They are fed layers feed with 18% protein. They were not quarantined. I will send her this link and see what she thinks. Thank you all and any more input would be gladly welcomed!

Last edited:
She needs to send one off for necropsy. The symptoms really do sound like Marek's, but a necropsy will verify it one way or the other.

I saw this asked earlier, but I didn't see it answered, why does your friend insist this isn't Marek's? Is it because she has a good reason to suspect it's not, or is it just because she doesn't want it be?

Last edited:
She needs to send one off for necropsy. The symptoms really do sound like Marek's, but a necropsy will verify it one way or the other.

I saw this asked earlier, but I didn't see it answered, why does your friend insist this isn't Marek's? Is it because she has a good reason to suspect it's not, or is it just because she doesn't want it be?
I really don't know, we haven't gotten to sit down and talk in a while. Mostly just texting back and forth recently! Kids, babies, and we live farther apart now that they bought a farm. Life, you know? :rolleyes:

Hey I contacted Kansas State University, who does necropsy's in my State and they said they don't test for Marek's themselves but they send it out to a lab. It's $12 to get the necropsy and $60 to have it sent to the lab for Marek's testing. :eek: Does anyone know of a lab I could directly send it to instead of going through KSU?

I had two hens do that within 2 months of each other and since then no more deaths. Bothhends DID have laying problems in thier reproductive tract. Blood in the eggs whites and yolks, thin shelled or rubbery eggs,.Since both hens died no one else has gotten sick. I had contacted a vet college here and they told me to worm the birds which I did all of them. THey didn't think it was Merecks.. they wanted to see her and get some poop samples but I live 4 hours away and am on a disabled re
stricted driving licence and I had very little money....

Back
Top Bottom