Why are my hens dying?

Denise1015

Chirping
Jul 14, 2020
Hello,

I have lost 2 hens within the last 3 weeks. Each hen displayed symptoms runny nose, occasional bubbly eyes. Treated them both with tylan soluble. Improvement was seen. After a week of treatment, isolation and getting stronger, I reintroduce. (10 days). I also treated the entire flock with tylan. After putting them back after recovery, each hen started having breathing issues after a few days with flock. Removed each one again. Second hen, I began using inactivated oxine in cool humidifier but it wasn’t enough.. she died last night. I spray roosts with oxine weekly. Use deep layer bedding in coop. I give them oregano oil in water daily. Any suggestions. I now have #3 hen in isolation. She was puffed up and acting unwell. I am also super paranoid now. When in isolation cage, they are covered on three sides with a warming bed attached to cage for added ambient warmth.
I take good care of them. What am I doing wrong?!!!

Where are you located? Get a necropsy by the state vet if you lose another. That will diagnose the respiratory disease and if there is a secondary infection. Since you saw some improvement with
Tylan, it may be MG, but E.coli can cause air sacculitis during an MG or other bacterial respiratory infection, and other diseases can occur at the same time, making things worse. Make sure that your chickens are drinking well, and sick birds may need to be kept warmer. Here is a list of state poultry vets who specialize in necropsy and testing:
https://www.metzerfarms.com/PoultryLabs.cfm

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom