Why are raccoons allowed pets, but chickens not!!!!

That's absolutely not true. I worked on a project in Missoula, MT where we trapped and blood tested raccoons for various forms of diseases, and almost all our captured animals were positive for two very serious things : Rabies and canine distemper. In the southwest and western parts of the US, they carry plague as well. This is common for small mammals in the area. They get the plague from fleas just like rats did in the middle ages. Plague is 100% treatable by modern science with a few pills, thats why no one ever dies from it. But if your a dog owner and have ever lost a dog to distemper or had to go through painful rabies shots as a human due to exposure, you'd not be so quick to laugh at information I'm offering legitimately.

Try googling raccoons and the diseases they carry. I'm sure they will pop up and give you a far more common list, other than the few things I've just mentioned.

My brother in laws neighbors have 2 raccoons as pets. They were never wild, and were born and raised in a home. I wouldn't be too worried about diseases or anything, but I do agree about it being unfair that you got "told" about your chickies! It doesn't sound like your neighbors will give you a hard time if others have chickens, but maybe some eggs every now and then wouldn't hurt
thumbsup.gif

At lest you probably don't have to worry about raccoon lady complaining about your birds!

Quote:
So I'm assuming the raccoons were not live trapped? You said they were blood tested for various diseases, and the 2 most commom found were rabies and canine distemper... You can't test a live animal for rabies can you?

The Center for Disease Control in Atlanta states that there is no such thing as a carrier state of rabies in any mammal, including skunks, meaning that the animals cannot have the virus in their saliva
and remain free of rabies symptoms for long periods of time. Some studies have found that the virus occurs in saliva at or slightly before onset of clinical signs and persists for several days (maximum six days). These studies also indicate that clinical signs of rabies in skunks can last from 18 days before the animal dies.

The myth of carriers has been debunked. Rabies can stay in some body tissues for long times, but they are not contagious until they actually catch rabies. The only species still under scrutiny as carriers are some types of bats.

Rabies in the US kills on average 1 person per year, domestic dog attacks kill anywhere from 11 to 20 on average.

People always tend to overstate the the potential dangers of rabies.

Incidentally there is an oral rabies vaccine for Raccoons. Any Raccoon breeder is sure to have vaccinated his stock. Additionally, different government agencies are leaving baited vaccine out in the wild to vaccinate wild populations of raccoons.

Last edited:
as someone who has had the the rabies series, I would like to say that it sucked no two ways about it .
The reason I think it is cruel to keep a raccoon as a pet is because it is a wild animal and should have right to live that way (In my opinion) this is how I personally feel about it. You can feel however you want to feel about it.
I raised a baby squirrel and released it when it was old enough.This was not a choice I made. I was planting bulbs at the base of a tree in my yard and my husband told me to watch out. I looked up and there was a baby squirrel at eye level to me. I don't know why to this day but I put my hand out and he stepped into it.I know it's hard to believe I still have trouble myself. That squrirrel was entrusted to me and I cared for him till he was able to fend for himself.He was a wild animal and the most mischievous little bugger.He slept in DH's big sock hung next to my bed.And went everywhere with me. I can't even imagine dealing with a raccoon.They are way bigger and have a terrible two's mentality.

Quote:
Actually, the last time was today.

It's rare, but not unheard of.

This was in the news today:

China seals off NW town as plague kills 2nd man

Also:
A closer look at plague and how it is spread

Finally, there is a section about the risks of plague when traveling in Peru:
http://www.rediscovermachupicchu.com/health-risks-precautions.htm

> Plague

> It's relatively rare, but it occurs in the Southeast, near the Bolivian border. Bolivia is place where plague is still a threat today, therefore take precautions.

> Plague is spread by rodents, insects.

> In Peru, the "Cuy", guinea pig in other words can be a source for this illness. This animal is eaten in Peru. And many naive tourists "check it out", then turn up severely ill or could potentially die. Perhaps it's not a good idea to "check it out".

> However, being bitten by a rodent or an insect could cause plague.

> This illness is still relatively rare.

Back
Top Bottom