Why Are These Chicks Black If The Father Is A White Plymouth Rock?

It is theoretically possible, and I suspect this is the case, that the father is recessive white over double barred. Probably a hatchery trick to be able to switch out breeders to produce more barreds or sex links.

If you ask me, he gave 1 copy of barring to all chicks. The chicks with the big, blotchy head spots are definitely males.

In the first picture I posted, there are two chicks in the front. Would the one on the left be a boy and the one on the right be a girl?
Sort of. What I can say is that the one on the right, with the blurry spot, is surely a male. The other one is anyone's guess, because we don't know who the mother is.

Oh h£ll, I wasn't thinking. You did say the rooster was a Plymouth rock didn't you?
When I had white rocks they were barred underneath.
Sorry for confusion/trouble I caused.

Oh h£ll, I wasn't thinking. You did say the rooster was a Plymouth rock didn't you?
When I had white rocks they were barred underneath.
Sorry for confusion/trouble I caused.
No worries. We all make mistakes or miss things, sometimes.

Which ones? How can you tell? By the spots on their heads?
By the spots on their heads. But again, we have to definitively know who the mother of each chick is to be certain if it is a female.

The post from nicalandia would assume that the mother of those possibly female chicks was barred or cuckoo.

Back
Top Bottom