Why Are These Chicks Black If The Father Is A White Plymouth Rock?

Pretty Birds

Crowing
May 13, 2019
Maine, USA
My broody Austra White pullet hatched six chicks! The father is a White Plymouth Rock, and the mothers are/could be Cuckoo Marans, Speckled Sussexs, Easter Eggers, a Delaware, a Buff Orpington, a Barred Plymouth Rock, or Golden Comets. I know one chick is half Maran, because the dark brown egg hatched. I also know one is an Easter Egger because the green/blue egg hatched, and one of the chicks has a beard and pea comb.
I was expecting a bunch of different colored chicks, but they are all black and yellow! They have different amounts of yellow; some are half yellow, and some just have yellow on the top of their heads, and some are in between. I know it must be because of the father, but how can that be if he is white?
Chicks 1.jpg Chick 2.jpg

Your rooster is recessive white.
He is a basic black bird and has two copies of recessive white which makes him white.
His offspring are only getting one copy so its not being expressed hence them being black.
Your barred/cuckoo hens are producing black sex links when crossed with him.
Expect the ones with yellow spots on their heads to be males.

Any with head spots are males.
Any without head spots could be either sex since with your nonbarred hens your not producing sex links.
You are right. Genetics get so jumbled up in my head. Since the male isn't barred they can only get that gene from their mother. I always need pictures to help me understand.

Any with head spots are males.
Any without head spots could be either sex since with your nonbarred hens your not producing sex links.
I am a bit confused... All the chicks, as you can see in the pictures, have a yellow spot on their head. Does this mean they will all be barred, even though the father and some of the mothers are not barred? Are they ALL males?
Since the male isn't barred they can only get that gene from their mother.
The father is not barred, but does he carry the barred gene because all the chicks have yellow spots on their heads? Some of the mothers are not barred either.

Back
Top Bottom