Why are they doing this? Please help

Did the hens actually do it or did he get injured some other way? An argument with one of the other roos? A predator or vermin? Chickens will go after anything they see that is odd or different. It doesn't always mean they caused the original problem but unless they really get distracted by something good they won't leave it alone once they start.

Akane ... When I found him one of the hens had her head inside his rear. He didn't seem to have any wounds any where else. He was fine the day before. So I don't know what really happened. There were no predators or vermin that can get to the chickens. There may have been something happen between him and one of the other roos. But I don't know. It was just heart breaken to find him like that.

eeiko... it was very wierd behavior to see. And I hope I never see it again.

They seem to love the wood idea. They have torn the piece of wood that the boys gave them yesterday to pieces. So I think I will send them out for more wood for them. The boys don't mind not have to do class work . They are more than willing to go play in the woods. hahahaha. What a great idea by the way. Thanks!!!

Have a good one!

Maybe extra protein in their diet would help during times the chickens are acting like that? Just guessing... So sorry for this unforeseeable, strange tragedy. May you be comforted. I'm glad your flock has caring people watching out for them to intercede with the sometimes weird things that go on.

i find chick start does alot of good for the chickens, my big ones get it once or twice a week. before i started doing that we had a hen that lost alot of her feathers on her back because of all the fighting the roos did. i stuck her in with the chicks thats for sale, and she has chickstart every day, she was bald for 4 months, ( and before being moved the "fighting stopped for a month) in 1 month in with the chicks, you can barely tell she used ta be bald.

There is no behavior I would put past chickens. Whenever you think you know what's up they do something else. Blu-Kote is great if they actually drew blood. Love that stuff.

I sent hubby to the feed store for more chick feed today. With everything I feed them they should have protein coming out their ears. hahaha .. I sent extra veggie out tonight since it was raining cats and dogs tonight. And the wood.. they LOVE!!! That has got to be one of the best ideas I have heard of. They will need another one tomorrow for sure. After the rain tonight it will be a nice treat for them. The yard is a river right now. We have to keep all the animals up right now because of some misbehaving children. We don't want anyone trying to mess with them. So I will make sure they get plenty of wood, bugs, scatch, and veggie to keep them happy while they have to stay in their pens under lock and key.

Thank you everyone for your ideas, thoughts, and just everything. It has really meant the world to be able to come here and talk, get ideas and just be with people who love their chickens as much as we do. Ok time to go back and watch Americans got talent. The little girl has already made me cry. hahahaha

Night!

Back
Top Bottom