Why are your runs so TALL?

My run is 2 different heights, 6' and 4'. My husband over 6' tall, so you can already see the issue... even with the netting raised on crossbeams, he has to hunch over in the 6' side. The 4' side (with netting again raised to about 6' on the fence line with a combo of U-posts and tension wire), he basically has to stay towards the center or else again, he has to hunch down.

coopnew1.jpg

Going for 8' or more next time (and roofed), whenever that might be!

The end of my rake pokes the top of the run every time I clean it. Its a real pain in the butt..
Lol I have this issue too.

My coop/run setup is very similar. My chickens free range all day though and I've seen racoon's climbing the gate on my night cam. So I added a 2 foot wide flimsy wire skirt at the top that falls in (my run is way to big to cover the whole thing,) and no more climbers. I thought I might have to do another section that falls outside, but seriously nothing has even tried. Also to deter Hawks I have a fake Rooster, fake Eagle and fake Owl on 3 top corners of the run. I live on a River with many Raptors and this seems to work....

Thank you for this! I love both ideas, and may do this for ours as well. :thumbsup What kind of wire skirt did you use? Would chicken wire work?
On second thought.....
Don't the eagle and owl decoys scare the chickens, too?
And if not, because the chickens have become used to them and know they are not a threat, then the raptors in the area would surely recognize they are not real, too.
Aaahhhh but I DO have a thought....
Our 8x32 camper coop sits in the middle of the run. I could place decoys on the roof of the camper..... The chickens wouldn't see them, but the raptors would for sure. Might work!!!

On second thought.....
Don't the eagle and owl decoys scare the chickens, too?
And if not, because the chickens have become used to them and know they are not a threat, then the raptors in the area would surely recognize they are not real, too.
Aaahhhh but I DO have a thought....
Our 8x32 camper coop sits in the middle of the run. I could place decoys on the roof of the camper..... The chickens wouldn't see them, but the raptors would for sure. Might work!!!
I definitely thought about that when I placed them. They can only see one and it doesn't seem to phase them. Who knows if they work or not, it was worth a try in case it does.

Sorry for the delay...I was crushed by getting my brooder ready for 29 chicks, amongst the rest of life not stopping for me! All done...chicks in house and will post pics soon.

Thanks for all the responses. I disagree there wouldn't significant savings. If you think that you just weren't doing the math along the way. With lumber prices now, you can't afford not to triple check your plans and measure thrice before you cut!

I also cannot fathom NOT covering the top just because it is tall. For my purposes, I want the run where the coop exits to be a comfortable 7' tall (I'm 6'1"). I think it will be a good 6x15 area. That will be a sufficient play area, and then I'll build an additional 6x15 area at 3.5' tall and have it so the roof is on hinges for access. The chickens are going to free range anyway. The run is for cruddy weather or when we are out of town.

We did eight foot high because the lumber was that size so my hubs didn't have to make too many cuts. We have lots of perches for them, they love it. There is a small crawl space under the coop. It's the least accessible place, not fun, esp when you're dressed to go out and one hen doesn't want to be closed up...hello poop on elbows and knees šŸ˜‚

Back
Top Bottom