Why Aren't My Chickens Laying? Here Are Your Answers!

Pics
yippiechickie.gif
yippiechickie.gif
happy for You
wee.gif
wee.gif
celebrate.gif

But, but... I keep stuffing dollar bills down their gullets every day. (Happy Thanksgiving Cynthia!)
HAHAHA
lau.gif
.... this made me laugh so hard. It really does get aggravating when you're forking out money for organic feed and doing everyhting right and the chickens just decide they dont wanna contribute!
I'm in the same situation now, except i believe it is because I changed their feed. They'll either get used to it or Ill finish the bag out and then switch back to my old stuff. Definitely frustrated with them right now though.
barnie.gif

HAHAHA
lau.gif
.... this made me laugh so hard. It really does get aggravating when you're forking out money for organic feed and doing everyhting right and the chickens just decide they dont wanna contribute!
I'm in the same situation now, except i believe it is because I changed their feed. They'll either get used to it or Ill finish the bag out and then switch back to my old stuff. Definitely frustrated with them right now though.
barnie.gif
"They" say that when you switch feed to do it gradually....3/4 reg feed, 1/4 new feed for a week....1/2 and 1/2 for a week....then 1/4 old feed, 3/4 new feed for a week...What a pain in the body part that will get starred out if I type it....but "they" say it works without chickens stopping laying. (Personally I would just change it when the bag was empty, at a time I had extra eggs in the fridge, and forget the measuring out of one part this, two parts that; living with the lack of eggs for a couple of weeks until they adjusted to the new feed)

I read a while back to watch their combs. They will darken tremendously right before the pullet begins to lay.

Yup. It is my experience that that does happen. From dark pink to bright red. Another indication is them squatting when you try to pet them. (oh, you don't pet your chickens? Well, watch who the roo is mounting and if she is willing to allow it or runs away....that's sometimes easier then trying to pet your free range birds. LOL)

in my experience, my girls have been much easier to pick up once they begin to lay. Its like someone just pushed a button and all of a sudden they dont mind you hovering over them ready to pick them up.

"They" say that when you switch feed to do it gradually....3/4 reg feed, 1/4 new feed for a week....1/2 and 1/2 for a week....then 1/4 old feed, 3/4 new feed for a week...What a pain in the body part that will get starred out if I type it....but "they" say it works without chickens stopping laying. (Personally I would just change it when the bag was empty, at a time I had extra eggs in the fridge, and forget the measuring out of one part this, two parts that; living with the lack of eggs for a couple of weeks until they adjusted to the new feed)
I agree with you. Unfortunately for my chickens I've been practicing the whole "being stubborn" thing much longer than they have! We had a plethora of eggs before i switched over soooo for now we are ok.

I have 3 Sussex 3buff roping tons 3 black sex links and 3 gold wyncotts all are 2 years old since mid winter I am only getting an average of 2 eggs a day some days none have not changed anything live in eastern Massachusetts anyone have an answer.thanks

I have 3 Sussex 3buff roping tons 3 black sex links and 3 gold wyncotts all are 2 years old since mid winter I am only getting an average of 2 eggs a day some days none have not changed anything live in eastern Massachusetts anyone have an answer.thanks

Something has changed. You aren't getting enough eggs and that's a change. First, I would watch them and see where they are when they sing the egg song. If that doesn't yeild a secret laying spot outside the coop, then I would make sure they are eating layer feed with high enough protein. AND I would check to see if they are eating the eggs. empty shell bits in the coop and/or slippery stuff in the nest boxes would indicate they are eating the eggs. Do you have a rooster? Is he over breeding them causing stress? And cut out ALL treats so they have to eat layer feed only until laying picks up. I know 2 of my birds won't lay for 48 hours after eating bread. Go figure, I'm a bread person myself.

Back
Top Bottom