Why Aren't My Chickens Laying? Here Are Your Answers!

Pics
How long does it take for "regularity" in laying? And is it really true that if there is no cock in the mix a female will take up the post and not lay? Just wondering because I have a black sex link that seems to have become the head honcho and she's only laid a few times since she started last month.

Thanks.

Quote:
That is not true at all, no. Roosters have no effect on laying of the hens, unless you have too many roosters and they are so stressed from overmating, then they may stop laying. Some hens just aren't good layers and never will be, though usually sex links are really good for a couple of years. It can take a month or two for a new layer to become regular.

Quote:
That is not true at all, no. Roosters have no effect on laying of the hens, unless you have too many roosters and they are so stressed from overmating, then they may stop laying. Some hens just aren't good layers and never will be, though usually sex links are really good for a couple of years. It can take a month or two for a new layer to become regular.

Thank you. Unless there are any surprises, there are all females in the backyard. Since I am still new to this I get a fair amount of both wives tales and scientific fact in my research!

Hello. I am new to this site, and I have a question. How do you stop a hen from brooding? I have Dorking hens and they are about a year old and one of them has decided to brood. I want them to lay eggs. Thanks.

Hi!
welcome-byc.gif
I think you'll get some answers to this very good question if you post it as a new topic under the same forum of egglaying and behaviors. Also, have you tried to search out some answers? I've read similar posts so you're not alone in your concerns. Good luck

Ok, my situation might be unusual.. my father died and we had to leave and cross the country. Our house sitter failed to check for eggs/collect the entire 2 weeks. We have 8 chickens. There were about 20 eggs, some broken. They haven't laid in the nearly 2 weeks since!!! What is wrong? I'm still withmy family but my husband said they are all acting normal and eating. Did they all go broody? They were also penned up the two weeks we were away (but are now allowed back out while my husband can watch for bears/coyotes/hawks etc). Was it stress?

What I'm worried about is the eggs building up inside like I read can happen. Should be concerned with that? Should I have my husband check their vents? It's weird, NO eggs. Our birds lay like crazy. I don't get it. I'm starting to worry that something is wrong.

Any tips or reference to a page on this question would be great!!

I have 4 chickens. 1 is a barred plymouth rock. All 4 are 9 months old. The barred has been laying 1 egg a day since january. But 2 weeks ago quit laying. Took her to the vet because she was just standing and closing her eyes all morning, wasn't acting normal or eating or drinking and feared she may be egg bound 'cause she hadn't laid an egg for 4 days. Xray showed she isn't egg bound and blood work was negitive, including her poop. Put her on Smz Tmp for 7 days. Vet hydrated her also. Next day she was right back to her ol self. But now it's been 2 weeks since she has laid an egg, at least in the coop as she was doing faithfully before. No sign of laying in the yard. Any thoughts of what could be going on?

Quote:
I wanted to say that my chickens finally started laying after 3 weeks. Only thing I could think of for your chicken is maybe stress. Mine were stressed and wouldn't lay... and maybe they are laying outside. They find the craziest places to hide them (in my experience). I dont' know how much help that is. Sounds like you tried everything though! Let us know if she starts to lay!
smile.png

There are all sorts of pathological causes for cessation of laying beyond the scope of this thread. We were only covering the general causes and cannot diagnose all diseases here. Internal laying will most likely not show up on an xray since there is no shell whereas egg binding would.

Back
Top Bottom