Why can a broody......

Yeah, I don’t think I’d want to employ 10 of the heat plates in order to brood 500 chicks. But, the good thing is, I don’t. I have brooded between 5 and 25.

I have two different sizes and brands. My largest plate is a brooder only and uses 62 watts. I did not purchase the domed top as I utilize it for the feed and water. View attachment 2323766

My other heat plate can be used as a heater as well as the brooder. The brooder uses 40 watts while the heater uses 200 watts. I believe I found these as a fluke on the ‘clearance’ aisle at TSC for a mere $11 each. I snagged two. Yep, it was a mistake they quickly corrected. I have used it both ways.
View attachment 2323767

As far as the life of radiant heating goes, I know that radiant heat flooring lasts for 20+ years. Now I’m sure I don’t brood as often as you, but I’m certain my little heaters will last way after I’m dead and gone. Just saying.

I would dare say these are more for “indoor brooder chicken keepers.’ The biggest plus for these type brooders IMHO is they are cheaper to operate, they are far less dangerous and they do not overheat the surrounding area. As far as the dangerous part goes, not everyone using heat lamps will realize the safety hazard and might not secure them properly (to prevent them from falling.) I don’t know statistics of the heat lamp, but I’m certain there are thousands of animal deaths each year, not to mention loss to property.

Just my thoughts.
I opted for the cover domes. It keeps them a lot cleaner.
I had a leg break once and I bought several more legs. But none have broken since. The plates are really hard to use with 3 legs.
I would order some extra legs if I were you. Right now they are on backorder till November.
The legs are at the bottom of the list.
https://www.premier1supplies.com/p/heating-plates-and-covers

Last edited:
Don't hold your breath. I had Brahmas for years (5+) and not one single broody in the lot.
That and 18 weeks is to young for Brahmas to lay. They are a slower to mature breed.
It’s the coolest thing to have a broody chicken. It takes time and patients but well worth it all.

They certainly can. But it depends on your birds.
I've had a fair amount of BO. I've only had one not go broody, and she's only a year old.
I have one that's broody right now, after two weeks break. Buff Orpington are known as a broody breed.
i have 2 buff orpingtons, buffy who has never gone broody and gonzo who goes broody every time i turn around lol. we let gonzo hatch 7 chicks and she was an excellent mama hen.

Both of my broody hens this year were actually quite nice. They let me get under them to candle eggs and only screeched at me a little. No pecking. It was a nice surprise, since I've heard of broody hens going all out, the screeching and the dangerous pecking.
i have an easter egger broody right now. she doesn't peck but she can scream like jamie lee curtis in halloween!

i have an easter egger broody right now. she doesn't peck but she can scream like jamie lee curtis in halloween!

I had a hen who would screech at me like a pterodactyl! And that was just when she went in to lay! I can't even imagine what she would be like if she was broody XD.

Wish a few more of mine would go broody.do they lay in the winter?
I wish mine would stop being broody. I want eggs, not chickens. All 4 of mine are now setting. If any chicks hatch in a couple of weeks, I will still not have eggs for another 8 weeks!
I will NOT hesitate to chuck 'em out ruthlessly next time. No more brooding in my yard, no sirree.
Where I live, the temp seldom dips below 14°C, and although egg production slows a bit, doesn't entirely stop.

I wish mine would stop being broody. I want eggs, not chickens. All 4 of mine are now setting. If any chicks hatch in a couple of weeks, I will still not have eggs for another 8 weeks!
I will NOT hesitate to chuck 'em out ruthlessly next time. No more brooding in my yard, no sirree.

Are they all sitting on fertile eggs? Because if not, you can just break their broodiness now.

Back
Top Bottom