Why can a broody......

I’ve had a 4 year old BO go broody once when she saw some new chicks. My LF Cochin never has. My CONSTANT broodies are one of my Black Ameraucanas, one of my Black Copper Marans and my Naked Neck.

A nest full of eggs will trigger one of my girls as will a bunch of new chicks running around. I’ve noticed this several times. You can’t duplicate a bunch of new chicks running around, but you can duplicate a nest full of eggs by placing a bunch of fake eggs in one. I’ve also read that game hens are fierce and constant broodies, but game birds aren’t my thing.

Good luck, but be careful what you wish for. A broody hen = no eggs for 7-8 weeks (3 setting and 4-5 rearing). And the BCM broody of mine is the one that lays the darkest chocolate egg. Wish it could be one of my others.

I’ve also read that game hens are fierce and constant broodies, but game birds aren’t my thing.

Good luck, but be careful what you wish for. A broody hen = no eggs for 7-8 weeks (3 setting and 4-5 rearing). And the BCM broody of mine is the one that lays the darkest chocolate egg. Which it could be one of my others.
I have a friend whose grandpa had a game hen who was broody for a year straight. One of the other hens babysat for the hen while she was out, so, yeah, game birds are serious broodies.
Secondly, I'm perfectly fine with no eggs, mainly because I have 5 hens that are laying already, so I'm not too worried about egg loss.

Back
Top Bottom