Why can't I peel my hard boiled eggs?

Egg Lady

In the Brooder
11 Years
May 18, 2008
Indiana
Help! I have soooo much trouble peeling my hard boiled eggs, what am I doing wrong? I can peel a store bought egg just fine.
barnie.gif

Very difficult to peel FRESH eggs. This demonstrates exactly how old the grocery store eggs are!! There are a bunch of tricks- do a search and you'll find a bunch of ideas. Salt, time, etc. Good luck!

Fresh eggs are very hard to peel. Put salt in the water (about 1/4 cup for a smaller size saucepan) when you boil them. I don't know why it works, but it does. You can also use the search feature on BYC for additional suggestions - try "peeling eggs".

*The only reason I know this is because I had the exact same question about a year ago when my hens first started to lay.

Try starting the eggs in cold tap water on medium heat with a tablespoon of salt. Letting them slowly heat up to a boil. Once they've come to a boil turn the heat off. Let them sit for 30 min then drain water and refill with cold tap water. Pop them on the ends with a spoon and they should peel off easily. At least mine do. Let me know if it works for you.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom