Why did a factory meat chicken leave us feeling starving and nauseous?

Kmccalib

Chirping
May 6, 2021
I have just started raising my own heritage chickens for meat so I don't know if I'm just not used to store bought chicken anymore or if there is something to this. When we opened the package we were surprised to see some of the grossest looking chickens yet. You can tell that they were over grown on the small bones that had signs of breaking under them, one had scabs all over its back, and they were both very shrively and wrinkly. They didn't smell spoiled in any way. I decided to skin them and cooked them anyway since it was what I had thawed. Then the weirdest thing happened, we ate as much as we could handle but just felt more and more starving and nauseous. I did not share my feelings with my family but then found out they felt the same way. Does anyone know any reason why a chicken could cause this? Is it possible that feeding it malnourished food could cause it to be empty in a sense? I know that they've started growing some vegetables not in the ground and using artificial nutrients to grow them. Maybe the chicken is made of artificial nutrients? Just curious for some insight.

I have just started raising my own heritage chickens for meat so I don't know if I'm just not used to store bought chicken anymore or if there is something to this. When we opened the package we were surprised to see some of the grossest looking chickens yet. You can tell that they were over grown on the small bones that had signs of breaking under them, one had scabs all over its back, and they were both very shrively and wrinkly. They didn't smell spoiled in any way. I decided to skin them and cooked them anyway since it was what I had thawed. Then the weirdest thing happened, we ate as much as we could handle but just felt more and more starving and nauseous. I did not share my feelings with my family but then found out they felt the same way. Does anyone know any reason why a chicken could cause this? Is it possible that feeding it malnourished food could cause it to be empty in a sense? I know that they've started growing some vegetables not in the ground and using artificial nutrients to grow them. Maybe the chicken is made of artificial nutrients? Just curious for some insight.
Where did you buy the chickens you just skinned and ate? How long did you have them in the freezer?

I have never experienced that. Certainly their appearance is concerning.
The other stuff just sounds a bit mental to me, as in you know how they were raised so you can't help thinking about it as you're eating them.
My family didn't know though.

My family didn't know though.
I have never experienced that. Certainly their appearance is concerning.
The other stuff just sounds a bit mental to me, as in you know how they were raised so you can't help thinking about it as you're eating t
Where did you buy the chickens you just skinned and ate? How long did you have them in the freezer?
Recieved from a foodbank, not sure how long it had been frozen for. Not just skinned and ate, fully cooked in case I need to clarify. lol

You got a frozen fully cooked chicken from a food bank and it had scabs on it?
Did you take some pictures of it before you ate it?
No it was a whole raw chicken that I cooked. And no I didn't take pictures, but they wouldn't have known about it anyway so it's not there fault, it was inside the packaging.

Does anyone know any reason why a chicken could cause this? Is it possible that feeding it malnourished food could cause it to be empty in a sense?
There is so much store bought chicken consumed every day without these symptoms that "malnourished food" doesn't really make sense. Are you sure it was the chicken and not something else? It sounds like the chicken but I gotta ask.

You can tell that they were over grown on the small bones that had signs of breaking under them, one had scabs all over its back and they were both very shrively and wrinkly. They didn't smell spoiled in any way.
The Commercial Cornish X chickens are bred to put on a lot of meat fast. You'll get a lot more meat from them than you do with our dual purpose chickens. The part about overgrown is not a surprise.

A photo of the scabs would have been nice but you didn't know you were going to have a problem. Could the scabs have been freezer burn? With the chicken already thawed when you got it and the other stuff sounds like bad handling to me, nothing to do with the being Cornish X or how they were fed.

I know that they've started growing some vegetables not in the ground and using artificial nutrients to grow them. Maybe the chicken is made of artificial nutrients? Just curious for some insight.

Started? Hydroponic and Aeroponic crops have been sold for a long time now. A good deal of the tomatoes we all eat are grown that way. They are fed chemical fertilizer just like typical crops in the ground, only the delivery method is different.
Because plants process their food on a molecular level, there is functionally no difference in the result (taste and nutrient profile are genetic, provided the plant got fully balanced fertilizer).

The human body is not capable of instant feedback on how many vitamins were in a meal just eaten. But there is one thing it can tell right away - calories from fat.
In fact, studies show the brain forms a preset of how many calories to expect each day based on what it has received before (not the actual need), and responds to a lower calorie level with a strong hunger message. That is what makes it so hard to diet. If someone eats 3k calories per day for a sustained period, even though they may only need 2k, the brain freaks out if they get less than 3k regardless of how many of those calories actually get used.
All that is to say, perhaps that chicken was severely lacking in fat, and that caused your dissatisfaction.
As for the nausea, I can't say for sure, but perhaps the possibly low fat level made chewing feel unusual and gave everyone the sense that something was wrong. Or perhaps it was an older bird and the protein was somehow less digestible.

We often tend to think that every product from a specific brand is homogenous, but most brands have many different factories and suppliers. Also, factory conditions are not always the same... for instance, if testing revealed more salmonella than allowed, they might use more bleach and such on the carcasses.

A photo of the scabs would have been nice but you didn't know you were going to have a problem. Could the scabs have been freezer burn? With the chicken already thawed when you got it and the other stuff sounds like bad handling to me, nothing to do with the being Cornish X or how they were fed.

Nail meet hammer.

There have been times that I've been very poor and gotten food from unreliable sources. Freezer-burned, thawed and refrozen, etc. It's necessary to be VERY aware of potential food contamination and very careful about eating what appears suspicious.

Back
Top Bottom