Why did my chick die?

MiniatureCochin

In the Brooder
8 Years
May 30, 2011
*sigh* i'm not really sure how to start this, but....

On 5/17 & 18 my broody hen hatched two adorable chicks. They seemed completely healthy. The hen had been setting in our goats shed (in the milking room), and which is fairly-securely guarded by the goats. Anyhow, yesterday my mom went out to milk the goats, and checked hen & chicks. They were fine. A short time later, she heard one of them cheeping loudly. She went back to find one of the chicks on the lying on the ground, unable to stand up. He kept closing his eyes & one of his wings was stretched out, sorta dragging. He appeared to be exhibiting neurological problems, i think...he died around 5pm...
hit.gif

I can only think of 2 possibilities; either he got pecked really hard by another chicken, or he was bitten by a spider. He didn't have any external wounds or bruising like something stepped on him...

Any other ideas about what could've caused this? I'm scared I'm gonna lose the other chick too...

Thanks,

MiniatureCochin

I'm sorry, I don't know! The dragging of the wing does remind me of a predator attack - could there have been a bird or something?
So sorry you lost your little one, and hope the rest of your flock stay healthy! x

Back
Top Bottom